Leahy Famous Incubator

dave3877

Songster
12 Years
Sep 16, 2007
crockett, texas
ok i posted a message about an incubator i got a few weeks ago from my uncle. its a leahy famous incubator. not sure on the model but it has 5 drawers and 2 thermostats. anyways it hasnt been ran in a few years so i replaced the power cord, a few little bits of tlc and did a little clean up. anyways it fired right up. now i have a new problem. for the past 2 days i have been racking my brain trying to get the temperature set and stable. it keeps fluctuating back and forth. the model i have has these slides on the top and front door that cover holes presumably for releasing excess heat. anyways as many of you may know leahy mfg. is no more. im having hell trying to figure out whats wrong. do i need to replace the thermostats or do i need to make sure the slides are in a certain configuration or what. any advice woul;d be great because im gonna rip out what hair i have left out lol. oh these pics dont reflect the work i have done to it but they do show what im tlaking about as far as configuration

4007_sany0004.jpg

4007_sany0140.jpg

4007_sany0134.jpg

4007_sany0136.jpg

4007_sany0005.jpg

Last edited:
ive been up a while tonight fiddling with this thing. i got both thermos synched with each other and so far its stabilized but im not holding my breath. i have 1 set higher than the other slightly and its at about 96 but climbing slowly. i have no clue as to what the wire diagram is for this thing and i dont want to rewire it if its not necessary so im holding to the wait and see thing. if not ive considered gutting and redoing but man thats gonna be expensive but i think it would be worth it... if i have to of course. id love to have it be simple like my genesis. reminds me a lot of my still air which i now am using as a hatcher

yeah my uncle hatched emus in it and his freind did turkeys peafowl chickens and probably everything else under the sun. i figoure it could hold 3-400 maybe more. im gonna get some more chicks in the near future and expand operations. now i have this the gqf genesis and my gqf still air. might get another genesis. my mind tingles at the thought of being a professional chicken man lol

yeah i know. so are there any good hatcheries out there in arizona. im always on the hunt for fresh blood for the flock. i found one in new mexico called privett hatchery

We have a couple of very small operations... pickup only. I hear Privett is good, there are a number of hatcheries that do drop shipping with them.

yeah ideal is the big one here but i think it defeats the purpose to get breeding stock from one place. i worry about long term inbreeding and such. i found a good one here in texas called x-treme gamebirds. nice folks. about 10-20 cents higher on most things but they make up for it in customer service and availability. if youre ever interested give them a shout

Back
Top Bottom