Buttercups?

NellaBean

Graceland Farms
10 Years
Mar 4, 2009
Broodyland, TN
My Coop
My Coop
I bought 2 chicks from TSC a few weeks back. Figured they were EE....well...their combs just looked so funny.....and no muffs, tufts, nothing like that.

Then I stumbled on a picture of a buttercup chick. Zorro! Just like mine. The comb is a cup! That is why it looks funny!

Here they were when they were little.

chickpairs1.jpg

Couple days later.

newchicks7.jpg

A week later.

greenee1.jpg

Here they are now. 1 is sort of friendly, 1 is not really. They both can seriously fly. They roost on the high shelves of the shed where the australorps and white (leghorn/rock/wyandotte/whatevers) can't even dream of reaching just yet.

buttercups1.jpg

buttercups2.jpg

buttercups3.jpg

buttercups4.jpg

buttercups6.jpg

buttercups7.jpg

buttercups5.jpg

Soo...............what are buttercups like? Are they common? I had hoped to let mine out in the "dog pen" during the day once they are bigger, but these will fly out easily (4 foot fence, topped in electric).

Anyone have any Buttercups? Likes, dislikes?

if they keep the spots and the lighter color you have hens there, My buttercup roo has an attitude but is very friendly, the hen lays just about every day. also they are on the smaller side that way they can fly so well.

They are supposed to be pullets so I am hoping they actually are. They are about 4 weeks old? Just about.

I wanted heavy breeds so they could not fly out, but I ended up with white leghorns and buttercups. Whoops?

Those are buttercups, use to raise them , they can be flighty , I use to feed them mealy? worms when they were young like that so they wouldnt be frightened of me as adults. They were great flyers, by 2 weeks they could fly out of the brooder and up onto my arms to get their worms.

They seem so much smarter than the other chicks in with them (australorps and white leghorns). They will look up and around and fly up from perch to perch to get higher and higher. The australorps have only figured out how to get to the lowest one. And the leghorns? They stay on the ground
lol.png

Once I started feeding mealworms, the two Australorps and one of the buttercups became my best friends. Or at least, they run to me for food. The other buttercup was much much smaller and farther behind. The one in this pic to the left....see how much smaller she was?

newchicks7.jpg

She liked the mealworms but wouldnt come up to me for them. She seems to have caught up size wise....I can't really tell them apart anymore.

They are neat so far, although definitely not what I had planned on. We'll see how it goes, I guess!

Thanks for the info.
smile.png

I actually had planned on getting rid of these but they have really grown on me.

buttercupflapper1.jpg

buttercupflapper2.jpg

How could you resist?

buttercupflapper3.jpg

I'm planning on keeping them with my Blue Andalusian group, and am going to try hatching some eggs out just for kicks. I wonder what will turn out??

Black and Blue with burnt orange leaking through the color on the head and breast, yellow skin and black to greenish black shanks and feet. Males will leak burnt orange mainly in the pyle region.

Your birds have very good color.

Tim

Last edited:
These girls just get prettier and prettier by the day.

I have no idea how they compare to the breed standard. They are right around 17 weeks old and one of them is really reddening up in the comb area and the comb is getting bigger. Expecting some eggs in the next few weeks.

laybuttercup1.jpg

laybuttercup3.jpg

You can see the comb a little better here.

laybuttercup2.jpg

The girl pictured here is very smart. When she is out in the run and sees me going to the coop door, she will often already be up the ramp and in the pop door opening waiting by the time I get the door open to the inside. Mine are flighty and do not want to be handled but do come up for treats (especially the one pictured).

Very smart little birds. Kind of hard to explain but I swear they look at me differently than the other ones.

laybuttercup5.jpg

Size wise, they are close to my white leghorns but still slightly smaller. Here is a picture of one girl and a white leghorn right next to each other. The black chickens to the left of them are jersey giants that are the same age.

laybuttercup7.jpg

Here is one next to my Jersey Giant cockerel that is the same age and a Cochin pullet that is one week younger. They can almost stand under him, at the rate he is growing.

laybuttercup6.jpg

And a very dark and poor quality picture of them on them on the roost at night. As you can see, the back of the Buttercup pullet comes to the belly of Jersey Giant cockerel.

jgbuttercupsleep.jpg

They are a very interesting breed! I did not plan on getting any and did not partcularly like them for a while there, but they do grow on you and are beautiful birds with their markings. Mine are at the top of the pecking order usually. I'm not sure if they may have fallen down a bit because of their size since my JG pullet and cockerel are huuuuuuuge, but they definitely keep the cochins in their place and are first in line to go after my poor little lone hen I am trying to integrate.

Back
Top Bottom