PASTY BUTT!!!!! HELP!!!!

chickfluff

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 2, 2009
San Diego
ok, my chick has a bunch of poo stuck to her rump! I'm sure it's pasty butt! Help! I'm not sure how to treat it?? HELP QUICKLY PLEASE! Do I soak it in warm water? I put a warm wet paper towel there first, but it didn't go away!
Can I trim the poop off? HELP!

P.S.- she is only two days old, if that is important

I don't want to lose her !!!!!
hit.gif

Ok, don't worry. THis is what I do & it has worked every time.

First I take an old plastic container(coolwhip type) and put some very warm water in it.

Then I hold the chicken's butt in it to soften up the poo. (My chicks always seem to love this part & stop peeping loudly)

Then I take a warm wet paper towel to gently remove the poo. If it does not all come off, I hold the chick in the water again.

I dry the chick off a bit with another dry paper towel & put it back in the brooder to dry off.

Usually the same chick has the problem again, so if it is a light colored chick, I dab it with some food coloring on the head, so I can ID it more quickly & check it more often.

Hope this helps!
smile.png

This does work because i just did it. At first I tried to use a baby wipe, didn't do a thing. Then I took a small 1/2 cup jar (I used to make my own baby food) and filled it with lukewarm water (like you would a baby). After letting the chick soak for a few the poo came right off. And then came the FLOOD of poo. I finished cleaning as fast as I could and used a qtip to apply baby oil.

Well I read somewhere chicks don't like getting wet, so you take a damp towel and wipe the poo off.

Quote:
They seem to like it when their butts are all sticky and itchy with poo. Mine relax as soon as the heinie hits the water. I was surprised too because I expected a fight.

Thank you everyone!! She made it!!!
celebrate.gif
I put her in some warm water for a few minutes, then rubbed the poo of with a damp paper towel, and yes! she did a big poo, and her butt is nice and fluffy now!!
ya.gif
Thanks again!

basically you have the brooder TOOOOOO HOT
that is what causes it

do you have ventilation for the brooder not wind on them just some where the new air gets in

NOW HERE IS WHAT TO DO

take a gallon of feed and add 1 cup of white play school sand and mix very good

now feed it to the chicks
and see what the temperature of the brooder is
It should be around 95
not much higher

Back
Top Bottom