Black Copper+Splash Marans

You will get all blue chicks.
The amount of Coppering on the chicks will depend on how much the parents have.

Blue X Blue = 50% Blue, 25% Black, 25% Splash
Blue X Splash = 50% Blue, 50% Splash
Splash X Splash = 100% Splash
Splash X Black = 100% Blue
Blue X Black = 50% Blue, 50% Black
Black X Black = 100% Black

If your Splash hen is a Marans then what produced her
was two Blue Copper Marans, or a Blue Copper and a Splash. Simply put for genetics, usually the blue gene (Bl) is considered incompletely dominant mostly because the presence of one gene shows. The presence of two blue genes gives the splash color.

Last edited:
yes, the splash hen is a marans. thanks again! you know your genetics!
big_smile.png

If the Splash is a Splash Copper you will get Blue Coppers, if the Splash was a pure Blue bred splash you will get Blue cross breds.
David

Does anyone have a pic of a Blue Copper Splash Marans? I susspect I have 2. They came from Blue Copper eggs. I'll try to post a pic of mine tomarrow.
idunno.gif

I would love to see a picture of one as well. I bought what were supposed to be blue copper eggs and well, I'm just not sure about the splash that came out. He does have some red/copper in him which I guess can come from the copper in the BC but what I'm not sure about are his yellow legs. Can marans have yellow legs or do I have mutts?

Sorry to horn in on your thread td but we seem to have some people on this tread that know their marans so I want to pick thier brains while the picking is good.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Oh, a splash hen...I bet she is super pretty. I have blue/black/splash Ameraucanas and I never hatch splash hens--only roos!
lol.png

Randy, you don't necessarily have mutts--there are still lines of Marans that throw yellow legs occasionally--but you don't want to breed one w/yellow legs. It is incorrect for the standard, and tough to get rid of.

Back
Top Bottom