1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black Copper+Splash Marans

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tdgill, Apr 16, 2009.

1. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

what do you get if these two breed?
    Black Copper marans roo
    and a Splash hen?

2. cottagegarden

cottagegarden Eggistentialist

Oct 2, 2008
    SE PA
    You will get all blue chicks.
    The amount of Coppering on the chicks will depend on how much the parents have.

Blue X Blue = 50% Blue, 25% Black, 25% Splash
    Blue X Splash = 50% Blue, 50% Splash
    Splash X Splash = 100% Splash
    Splash X Black = 100% Blue
    Blue X Black = 50% Blue, 50% Black
    Black X Black = 100% Black

3. tdgill

thank you very much!

what MAKES a splash btw.....

4. cottagegarden

Oct 2, 2008
    SE PA
    If your Splash hen is a Marans then what produced her
    was two Blue Copper Marans, or a Blue Copper and a Splash. Simply put for genetics, usually the blue gene (Bl) is considered incompletely dominant mostly because the presence of one gene shows. The presence of two blue genes gives the splash color.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  5. tdgill

yes, the splash hen is a marans. thanks again! you know your genetics!
    [​IMG]

6. cottagegarden

Oct 2, 2008
    SE PA
    Good luck with your future babies!!! I hope to have a Splash Marans one day!!

7. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    If the Splash is a Splash Copper you will get Blue Coppers, if the Splash was a pure Blue bred splash you will get Blue cross breds.
    David

8. CHICKEN little 1

CHICKEN little 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    W.V.
    Does anyone have a pic of a Blue Copper Splash Marans? I susspect I have 2. They came from Blue Copper eggs. I'll try to post a pic of mine tomarrow. [​IMG]

9. Randy

Randy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    AR
    I would love to see a picture of one as well. I bought what were supposed to be blue copper eggs and well, I'm just not sure about the splash that came out. He does have some red/copper in him which I guess can come from the copper in the BC but what I'm not sure about are his yellow legs. Can marans have yellow legs or do I have mutts?

Sorry to horn in on your thread td but we seem to have some people on this tread that know their marans so I want to pick thier brains while the picking is good. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  10. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    Oh, a splash hen...I bet she is super pretty. I have blue/black/splash Ameraucanas and I never hatch splash hens--only roos! [​IMG]

Randy, you don't necessarily have mutts--there are still lines of Marans that throw yellow legs occasionally--but you don't want to breed one w/yellow legs. It is incorrect for the standard, and tough to get rid of.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by