Homemade Waterer.....With 5 gallon bucket???

NC-Chickoholic

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 14, 2009
I seen somewher on this site wher someone made a watere with a five gallon bucket and a oil pan dish i was lookin to do the same thing but i cant find it can someone help me I need pix and instructions it was a MARVALLOUS Idea Thx alot Nate
clap.gif

I have made a few of those as well as troughs made out of 4" pvc.

you need to get a float valve and just match up the plumbing fittings.. attach the plastic tubing or garden hose and tadaaaa !!!!!!....

I ordered a half dozen float valves at a time from American Plastics

I don't think I saw that specific post but usually the gist of it is that you cut a notch or drill a few holes near the top of the right side up pail and make sure that the pan is slightly larger in diameter and that the holes you make will be below the edge of the pan. When the pail is filled with water you set the pan on top then flip as one unit. It works like the culligan water bottles. I find 5gal too big and heavy to deal with but have several 3gal's like this. I'm weak. Will also work with plastic coffee cans in round pans. Hope that helps.

Ok,

I am new to this. I think that I followed the directions for this waterer. However, I don't know where I am running into problems. The water is over filling the bowl at the bottom. What am I doing wrong. I know that water seeks its own level, but somehow I am missing something and doing something wrong. Please help!

your inverted container has to be airtight.. the seepage holes have to be below the rim of the pan..

when the water covers the seepage holes, the water stops flowing..

I have made the necessary suggested repairs. I now have the opposite problem where the water barely flows and it would take a day just to fill the bowl. I don't know if the sepage holes are big enough or if 1 is not sufficient to get the job done. Can anyone tell me the number of holes needed in the 5 gallon bucket and approximately what size they need to be.

Thanks!
big_smile.png

I made this one out of a pickle bucket and a hog pan. The water in the pan cannot go higher than the hole in the bucket. I had to enlarge my bucket hole by making multiple drill holes in a line and then use the drill bit to "scrape" them into one vertical hole.

If you make your hole larger by making it longer you will have a higher water level. If you hole is already high, then drill holes below it to increase flow.

Not bad for less than $4 bucks. (ETA - bucket was free. Hog pan at TSC was $4.)

23095_waterer.jpg

Last edited:
Our Wal-Mart bakery throws them away.
My FIL works overnight there and he brings them home all the time - for free!!
I just gotta get him to bring me some more, because I ended up with diesel in my only 5 gal one
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom