Homemade Waterer.....With 5 gallon bucket???

Hmmm... I don't think I've seen anyone do or mention this....

parts:

Oil pan
bucket
lid for bucket

1. drill hole (whatever size) about 2" down or not any more than the depth of the oil pan can hold
2. fill with enough water that you feel comfortable lifting
3. put the lid ON
4. with the lid on, turn the bucket upside down into the pan.

I figured this would be easier than turning the bucket upside down with the pan without a lid on the bucket. This way you don't have to worry about an AIR TIGHT seal on the lid because the lid will be under water in the pan.
smile.png

Just a thought.

-Ryan

I don't know what's my malfunction...
he.gif
barnie.gif

I have built each and every one of these.. now I have a bunch of buckets with holes in them... none worked properly.
tongue.gif

all either leaked, poured or didn't let the water flow out.
idunno.gif

I've resorted to the following adjustments:

any bucket, lid or not (which is handy with all these messed up ones)
buy plastic spigot from lowes, 2 washers to fit & a pressure nut
install plastic spigot in bucket as far to the bottom as possible, washer on outside and one inside with brass pressure nut to hold it all together

that drips into a bowl for now and a trough soon I hope.

honestly... I gave up. It's about $8 for the parts and while I hate having to spend the money, I had to do something about all these hole filled buckets and I still needed a functioning waterer!!!

Quote:
How big of a hole were you drilling, was your pan deep enough, and did you drill your hole properly in accordance with this? The principle of what is being done is the same as a commercially purchased waterer.

The only reason that I chimmed in was that I saw a flaw in the lid design. It assumes that your lid is going to be perfectly air tight. If its not air tight or the lid is not submerged as I suggest, then the water will just run out. Also if you don't drill the hole large enough or in the right place it could run out or just not come out at all.

just made 2 waterers today.
well hubby did i watched
tongue.png

we have 1 big metal feeder
just need another big feeder
for the chick coop. he's making
that next. thanks so much for
this idea. saved us a bundle!!

Quote:
i agree. i had the same problem with the first one i built. i flipped the second one and submersed the lid. drilled a two inch hole in the 'bottom' and plugged it with a rubber stopper. works great now.

I want to build one of these tonight. I have a question.

How much space should be between the outer pan/bucket that you are using and the inner container?

Back
Top Bottom