Winterizing.

Fancy Feather Poultry

Cooped Up
12 Years
May 30, 2007
So I have about 11 chickens and Fall/Winter is coming and fall will probaly be around 55-40 degrees, Can someone throw me a bone and show me something I can buy online thats cheap and pre-made and can house all my chickens comfortable for the winter. And when I say cheap I mean like 100-200$.

For starters, go around to local business's that have lumber or other pieces of wood. My hubby is a trash man and does the commerical front loader. With his gift of gab, he has managed to get a lot of the wood, roofing paper and shingles free. He's doing them a service by taking it off their hands and they don't have to pay for a special tag or mid week dump. It saves them money as well as you. Sometimes the gas stations even will have displays that they no longer use (usually a gimmick sale or promotion) and they just throw them out. Those sometimes can make great nesting boxes. Or just use the slats for roosts. Just be creative. Our local mission also has paint that you can just pick up from them. No charge there either. Do you have a NAIR Program or the likes where profit and non-profit businesses pay a certain price and then once a month they go into the building and sort through tons (and I mean a lot) of boxes filled with different items that local businesses didn't want anymore. We were able to get that foam expander for holes or draft areas and fill in all the cracks on the outside of the chicken coop. Hoping that will help keep drafts out this winter. Look at the local neighborhoods. Trash day or in our case a couple times a year we have a spring and fall clean up week. People can throw away anything (big furniture, refridgerators, stoves, washers, dryers, mattresses etc.) without having to purchase a tag. It's amazing what you can find. My husband also just said that tractor implement stores have the best pallets for like 2x4's and 2x6's. Hope this helps. It won't be pre-made, but it's loads cheaper.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom