New batch just arrived - update at 8 1/2 weeks (photos of processing)

Peruvian

Songster
11 Years
Apr 15, 2008
Vermont
I ordered 25 CX and 5 K-22 from Moyer's in Quakerstown, PA which arrived today. They shipped Weds, 5/6 and were at the post office this morning. All survived the trip and are drinking and eating well. They are in a 2x6' brooder I built with a heat lamp, reflective bubble wrap, and a sheet over the top to keep them warm.

Here is a poor picture showing the CX vs. the K-22. Interesting that the K-22 doesn't look like a RedBro chick. I've only seen the K-22 listed by Moyer's but did find "Kosmos" listed elsewhere, but never saw a photo of the chicks. Can anyone identify what kind of meatie the K-22 looks more like?

chicks.jpg

I expect the CX will be ready for processing around July 4th with the K-22s getting processed a month later.

Last edited:
As far as the breed I don't know, but love the fuzzy butt pic! I just wish mine had come in today
barnie.gif
They shipped on 5/6 as well, hopefully they show up tomarrow

Quick update - so far I haven't noticed any difference in activity or growth between the CX and the K-22s. They are only 11 days old but I expected the CX to be much bigger already. The CX have much larger feet which is probably a signal of things to come.

I had ONE chick in an order of 100 from JM who looked like a chipmunk, just like yours.

photo here .

She (?) is now 4 weeks old, and has grayish wings and reddish buff elsewhere.

No idea what she (?) is. Doesn't look like the others much.

Last night the chicks were making such a racket that my wife and I went out to check on them. They are still in a brooder in the garage. Sure enough the heat lamps were attracting many bugs that the chicks were feasting on! I don't remember that in the past but hopefully they all get a taste for fresh meat and continue with their 'hunting' once they are out on pasture.

Some updated photos at approx 7 weeks. They have been out on pasture for 4 weeks. The CX are around 5-6lbs live weight and the Red Bros are about 3-4lbs each.

IMG_6072.jpg

IMG_6073.jpg

IMG_6076.jpg

Processed 16 of the 30 birds today, about 8 1/2 weeks old.

Here's the abbatoir

IMG_6102-1.jpg

Station 1 - killing cones from cider jugs

IMG_6104.jpg

Station 2 - scalder and plucker

IMG_6103.jpg

Step 3 - Eviscerating station

IMG_6105.jpg

Here's how they come out

IMG_6106.jpg

Then into the cooler with ice water and finally they get vacuum packed and into the freezer. 85.5 lbs of chicken.

We have another 14 birds in the tractor that will need another week or 3 before they are ready.

Quote:
'tis true.

After years of 'processing' game birds, I'm glad I finally worked out a better system last year.

Oh, and I built the Whizbang last year. Best investment ever!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom