Spurs? When do they develop? Are these spurs? Feet pics.

paintedsavvy

Chicken Kisser
May 24, 2009
Pagosa Springs, CO
I'm pretty sure this chick is a cockerel, but still trying to learn and guess at it. Are the tiny "knobs" above the fourth toe in these pics the start of spurs? When do they start to really develop? Spurs only develop on males, correct?

Thanks!

32336_dsc07661.jpg

32336_dsc07659.jpg

32336_dsc07656.jpg

32336_dsc07655.jpg

smile.png
sad.png
big_smile.png
wink.png
hmm.png
tongue.png
lol.png
roll.png
cool.png

Granted I'm half awake, and haven't had all my coffee yet. Those aren't spurs. They won't show up for awhile yet. I think it's like 7/8 months. I could be wrong on that though. I think girls can get spurs too.

Bluemoon

Last edited:
I have one hen with spurs. Impressive ones, to my eye anyway. They are on the insides of her legs, pointing towards each other.

Hers are the only spurs I've ever seen, so I'm not really very experienced with them...
smile.png

Those are indeed the location of where spurs will grow from... However, that said, both males and females have those nodules. In males they develop into spurs.. In females, they mostly do not. Or at least they don't develop ones as large as males.

Last edited:
Those are spur buds, but both males and females have them. Only the males will develop true spurs. He does look like a little boy though!

Back
Top Bottom