Salmon Favorrels Gender ?

hcammack

Crowing
12 Years
Oct 5, 2007
Vermont
I was supposed to get 8 poults from meyer hatchery most of them I am pretty sure they got right exept one cuckoo maran and the to favorrels. I know favorrels are suposed to be easily sexed but the "girls" first feathers are only partialy white with alot of brown oh well mabe its just poor color they are only a week old I will post pics later. Any thoughts?

Henry

Faverolles color from the hatcheries is usually very bad. I've seen hatchery females with black in their beards and hackles, and dark feathers in their legs.

Chances are good your birds just have off color, but it's possible (though unlikely) they made a mistake at the hatchery.

This is one of the reasons I'm going to start taking pictures of my chickens at different ages. I have Salmon's and can't remember what they looked like at that age. The reason I can't remember could be my age too.
old.gif

there are pics on feathersite that shows the difference at a very young age.

feathersite pic:

Salmon.Faves.jpg

here is one of my girls at 19 days, don't have a boy but you can see that her wing feathers are not black but brown.

P4190270.jpg

Hope it helps.

Marie

OH both ladies for sure I am so happy they are my faviorts thanks for the pics that was pretty obvious now. Thanks

Henry

Oh and do dark leggs on cuckoo marans mean they are girls?
(Question ANSWERD ON ANOTHER THREAD)

Henry

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom