Potato Box Incubator

MissPrissy

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
May 7, 2007
Forks, Virginia
If you can't find an old bread box why not use an old potato box?

I found this one at a thrift shop for $8.

potato1.jpg

We cut out a place in the lid and routed a channel so that a pane of glass can be inserted for observation. The glass is out now because the glare from my kitchen lights made it impossible to see inside.

The light is wired in the bottom part of the box where the little drawer is.

potato2.jpg

The thermostat is wired in the compartment where the eggs will rest.

potato3.jpg

A water wiggler, thermometer/hydrometer and the set up is complete and ready to regulate the heat.

potato4.jpg

For those who are still unsure about the wiring I made a photo of how the wiring is completed.

wiring1.jpg

I cannot explain any better than I have in the other two incubator posts so maybe looking at this photo will help take away the rest of the mystery.

For those who have questioned the water wiggler. This is a digital thermometer/hydrometer with a probe and a water wiggler.

wiggler1.jpg

The probe on the thermometer is threaded into the water wiggler and placed along side the eggs. The temperature on the inside mimics the temperature of the inside of the eggs. The ideal hatching temperature inside the egg is 99.5 degrees F.

wiggler2.jpg

Use this setting of 99.5F to regulate your thermostat to turn on and off the light bulb to maintain the correct heat.

Good luck to all of you who are inspired to build your own incubator.

My other incubators:
Chic Chick Bator - Bread Box Incubator

I want to update this to add for those who said they couldn't find the thermostat -

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=26359-000000135-6900824&lpage=none

American Water Heater
00ae.png

Thermostat Lower for Double Element Heaters
Item #: 26359 Model: 6900824

It is available at Lowes. Look in the area where the hot water heaters are sold. They should be on a shelf nearby.

Last edited:
Miss Prissy, are you sure that you weren't born in the Little House on the Prairie days? I find your post so informative and my husband is going to be amazed by your bators, I'm actually thinking about not showing him because you are making me look bad. You know I am just kidding.
gig.gif

You better stop coming up with bator ideas, or you are going to give me the incubating itch, I have never had it, but I hear that it is highly contagious and very addictive.
lau.gif

That is another great idea!!! You are so smart. And not that I could improve on perfection but I guess if you wanted more floor room you could turn it on the side and have the door on the end? Wow, you are just so creative. Keep it coming. I really do need to make a better one than the little giant foam one I have. It sucks!!!

Marie

Oh fooie!...I passed one of those up at the thrift shop for my breadbox one!...And I was thinking, hmmm ...I bet one of those would work too!...
th.gif
..Guess I can always go back!!...
gig.gif

Miss Prissy is there nothing you cant do? I think I need you to come down to my house for a day and look though my things!!!!!!!!! I live on 35 acres as you know... you should be able to come up with something!!!!!!! LOL.

By the way, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! for posting that info on the wiggler for others!!! I was lucky, Cyn sent me info on what I needed.

Last edited:
I am updating to document the operation of this incubator.

With the heat rising from the bottom I have moved the false bottom higher. I did so because at one point the wiggler temp was 107 and the air temp was 101. I would have cooked my eggs.

The water wiggler temps are holding now but are still remaining higher than the air temp. The water wiggler probe readings are at 99.7 - 100.9. While the air temps are consistantly 96 - 100.

I have used more than one thermometer to check the readings. They are within one degree of one another.

I have a sealed jar of water in there as a heat sink.

The humidity is at 41% and has been maintianing itself fairly well.

A question to the more experienced hatchers - should I continue to aim for the right temp in the water wiggler and not worry about the air temp?

Back
Top Bottom