Genetics people I need Help!

herechickchick

Songster
12 Years
Mar 28, 2007
Memphis TN
Let me start by saying that I know nothing about chicken genetics! But I want to try golden laced orpingtons
ep.gif
, I know, I know, I'm crazy, but I want to give it a go. So Jody, Cynthia, Julie and anyone else I need your input (where to begin, how to get the color, GL Wyandottexbuff orp?)! Perhaps we could make this a BYC community project, everyone sharing their knowledge. OH and this is why I want to take on this project! when I saw this my jaw hit the floor!

980e.jpg

Thanks Adam

You get this project going successfully, YOU'LL be the one with the coveted Orpington eggs! I am no genetics person so I don't know how much help I'd be, but hey, just for your viewing pleasure, this page has some pics of the GoldLaced Orps, hens and rooster, on it, as well as blues, etc. We need Tim Adkerson's input here as well as a few others who know more about genetics than I.
http://forums.thepoultrykeeper.co.u...ays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&finish_rel=-10000

Here is a site I just found that talks about the laced colors, mainly about Wyandottes, but the genetics apply in general.
http://www.sedgwickcommon.co.uk/sedgwick_breeding.htm#Colours

I'm at work but I believe my initial notes were Barnevelder rooster (I just contacted someone several days ago, about obtaining eggs, not hatchery stock) bred to BO hen then that cross bred back to the Barnevelder roo.

I will try to re-check my notes tonight when I get home, but that I think was the initial start. I read on someones notes online including the pic they attached of the initial hen from the first cross before being bred back to barnevelder ...

Although you are probably way ahead of me on that end of things. I'm a dunce with genetics, need more time to get my mind around it to be honest...and time isn't something I have a lot of.

I would love to see this in the states!!!!!

Julie
smile.png

Last edited:
Ok, I'm home now. Had the pics saved but had to search thru my mess of links to find the right one. If you go to this link you see the explanation of the barnevelder x orpington crosses.

http://www.the-coop.org/cgi-bin/UBB/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001963

The top starts with a hen and midway down (post #9 I think) shows what the grandmother, grandfather and the mother all looked like.

I believe once you have successfully gotten your pattern (lacing) down you would then try breeding for form and lacing....meaning the heavier body of the orpington. Again this is assumption on my part.

I had considered why can't I use a gold laced wyandotte...but wyandottes for the most part have rose combs which are dominant over straight so that would be a bad trait you would continually have to try to breed out whereas the barnevelder has the straight comb. Issue is barnevelders are in general harder to come by and poorer stock in this country then in Europe.
Gold laced cochins are beautiful and the size is big like a good orp but the feathering on the legs is dominant and difficult to breed out......

In continuous threads I have been searching I continually see the use of barnevelder in the crossing to get the lacing for the gold laced orps. To further complicate the issue I have read there is more than one type of barnevelder with regard to color/pattern (single vs double laced).

If you go to feathersite ::: http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Barnev/BRKBarnev.html

and
look at the third pic down of the hens (A flock of Barnevelder hens) you can see the beauty in those birds and imagine how they would look crossed with an orp to give them the puffball look.

Anyway I don't know if I'm on the right track or not but that's what I've got so far.... you have to remember I am piece mealing a lot together from one thread to another. If I knew more what I was doing I would join one of those U.K. forums and just ask a lot of questions....but I think I would look like a complete idiot...lol

~Julie
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
WOW. OK lots of great info. Julie, if I were you, because you clearly have a better grasp on this than I, I WOULD join those European forums! There are no stupid questions, only stupid people who never ask! and I know because I was one of those people who never asked! (No offense to you of course
big_smile.png
) I may join my self with my first post being "Look out! Stupid American coming thru with lots of questions"
LOL.

I really think I can do this without a degree in genetics! I plan on starting in the spring (If all goes well with the gaining of information) I have been reading to start a breeding program you MUST start with the best stock available. So since I know I need buff orpingtons I will start there while I research Barnevelder breeders.

Cynthia, thanks for the site. I know I am in way over my head here but hey got to start somewhere, why not at the top! Do you have any suggestions for great quality Buff orp. females?

So here I am flying by the seat of my pants! I am just going to do this so if we agree that Barnevelder roos to Buff orp. pullets is the way to go then that is what I will do!

More info and help please!

NO WHAMMIES! LOL

Thanks Adam

Yes, Adam, I do know where you can get quality Buff Orp females. Jody here (hinkjc) raises some beauties! They beat the hatchery Buff Orps, hands down. If I get more, they're coming from her stock. Keep us up to date on this project. Barnevelders are cool-looking birds, too. Hope you can find some good ones.

Quote:
You got it!!!!! You and Julie will be the first! I will get in touch with Jody, I was thinking that she would be the best person to get buffs from.

I am just going to do this on a trial and error fashion and see what I get.

Adam

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom