Duck Eggs Question

WindyOaksYokes

Songster
12 Years
Jul 17, 2007
Central Virginia
I collected these 3 duck eggs today. I have 2 Cayugas laying and one Black Sweedish. This is the first time I have received a dark gray color egg. Is this normal? I know the Black Sweedish is laying the green eggs, and the Cayugas the white eggs. So where did the dark gray one come from? I know it's not my Muscovie, she is only 3 months, and not in with my other ducks. The only thing I can come up with is that it belongs to one of the Cayugas; but have not seen a dark color like this in the month they have been laying.

Any info would be much help!! Thanks.... Tes

duckeggs3.jpg

LOL I know this, but they are laying the whitish color like you see in the pic on the left LOL. They certainly have me baffled!!!!!!!!! And the color of the one on the right is a dark charcoal color. The pic does a very good job of showing the actual color for a change.

Also, another question... The other day, I broke open a duck egg and the egg white was actually a greenish color. What the heck? Why was it green??? Any how, I threw it away. Guess I should have taken a pic of it before I did. opppss... any ideas???

Black/Blue Swedish lay white eggs. Cayugas can lay white too, but most have some gray film over the white. It can be dark, or light and some just mottled looking or scratched looking, but the Swedes won't lay the dark eggs.
Lisa

Then I dont have normal ducks
gig.gif
Because my Black Sweed is the one laying the green eggs. The cayugas the white eggs. I think I might have to do research some how.

Those dark eggs are normal for cayugas. Generally they may be lighter when the duck first starts laying but get darker as the duck ages, and they also get lighter towards the end of laying season.

Well, I got another dark one this morning. When these girls started laying last month the eggs were a whitish/light grayish color. Now one of them is laying this color. I did finally find a site with some information on it. I do appreciate the help that you all have given me. I was so confused!!!!!!!!! I just wish there was more information on ducks out there. Such as chararistics of each breed. Oh well. It surly is interesting how the egg color changes like that.

Back
Top Bottom