this heat is killing me

d1

Songster
10 Years
May 9, 2009
Saucier,Ms.
and my rabbits........I lost 4 babies wed,,,,,,,,,yeaterday my wife went to get some fresh veggies out of the garden and all was well.......and hour later a grown doe was dead from the heat.....a friend of mine has lost 6 in the last week,,,,,,,,including a 6 week old flemish he paid $50.00 for.........

Last edited:
So sad...

Can you (and your friend) get them into cooler conditions till the worst of the heat passes? (memories of me bringing the chickens into my basement during a dreadful NJ heat wave! - that was a project! but they did well...). Do you have fans running for them?

I hope there are no more losses...

JJ

Wow, how hot is it? Frozen water in a 2 liter bottle always worked for my rabbits to cool them down or a least help them cope. It must be really hot.

99 yesterday and will be that today. Heat index is 105. Had one mare yesterday nearly go down, I brought her in and hosed her down for 15 mins. She seemed better then. She's 25, so Im sure the heat affects her more than the youngsters.

Also found one of my darling EEs down for the count when I went to close up the coop. Its one that I got from hinkjc last year; one of my best layers, huge blue eggs. Couldnt stand, was panting, head lolling to the side. I filled up a bucket of water and set her in it. After about 5 mins, she perked up, and even tried to stand. I took her out and set her down, she still couldnt stand.

It was getting dark, so I put her in the coop in front of my kitchen; put her in the laying box. She just laid there. I lost one last week this exact same way, so I figured she'd be dead by morning. But she's fine! She's out in the yard scratching around.

This heat is brutal.

They are forecasting 110 here by Friday.

It's like sticking a blow dryer in your face and leaving it there

Try going to the Civil War reeanctment last weekend, it was HOT and HUMID! Enough to fry an egg at times and when the sun sets, its cool and humid but no air moving! Hubby, DD and I were downing a big cooler full of Gaterade and it helps us out some to combat heat and the unbelieveable sweat pouring out from our primtive clothes! Yes, we did wear those layers of clothes back in those days but funny hubby says wearing wool pants kept him cool.
hu.gif
As for me, I had to forego wearing the pantaloons and inner petticoat to keep my bottom half cool and go barefooted. Iced water bowls were found most of the campsites for anyone that needed to be cooled down and the ladies put their feet in the bowl as well!

Got the CA on for the first time today, our heat index expected to be 101 degrees.

Wow, and here I was complaining because we haven't even had a summer here yet. In MA it has been cool and rainy November like weather. I guess I would rather have what we have than what you are going through.

Triple digits forecasted every single day this week & we are in drought conditions. I'm having to spend one solid hour every afternoon watering things to keep them from drying up.

Luckily I only work 3 miles from home so I can go home every day at 1:00 & put out ice, etc for all of the chickens & ducks. I feed them frozen spinach, collards, turnips, broccolli--they look forward to their cool frozen treats every day!

Back
Top Bottom