Status
Not open for further replies.

panner123

Songster
13 Years
Jan 15, 2007
Garden Valley, ca
Yup, I wrote that. This is why, a little before 7 A M the grandkids went
out to take care of the chickens. They were gone a few minutes when all he!! broke loose. They started screaming and we heard dogs barking down the hill. My dog went nuts in the house as did the wife. Out the door in my pj's with my 30/06. The kids passed me headed to the house yelling bear, yet I heard dogs fighting. Half way down the hill I saw three pit bulls circleing a bear. More bear bacon. Once the bear was down the dogs just left. I have no idea who owns these dogs, for no one in the area will own a pit bull. If I find the owner I will buy his feed for these dogs, maybe even cook them a chicken dinner
roll.png
, make that a steak. When I gt back to the house, the kids told me they didn't see the bear until it was running at them. They have no idea where the dogs can from, but they caught the bear about 20 yards
from them. When I shot the bear one dog had it's head, another had it's throat,and the third had it by the back end. All I can say is, had it not been for these dogs, I could have not got to the grandkids in time. Until I am able to check the fence line, I will not know how these critters got in.

For those of you that don't know if you could shoot and kill an animal, at times like this, it comes REAL easy.
fl.gif

The worst part is, if these dogs come back trying for the chickens will I be able to shoot them.
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Panner123, wow, you sure had a cardio workout this morning now didn't you? Amazing and I am so glad the grandkids are ok. poor kids won't want to go back out alone for awhile now will they? I wouldn't want to go out without a gun for awhile myself! That was just too close!
barnie.gif

Humm...I don't know? That is a tough question.

BUT! I liked your story. Too often you hear horror stories about pit bulls that it's nice to hear a positive one for change. I have a pit bull mix and she's the sweetest dog you could meet. Not to mention loyal.

Thanks for sharing and tell your grandkids they have three guardian angels with fur! Whew! What a scare that had to be.

~c:->

Last edited:
I'm glad the dogs and you were there to protect those grandkids. What a close call.

Where is Weimar? I am probably north of you somewhere....but haven't seen too many bear out here.

Ellie

Last edited:
Good Job!!
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Some will yell because you killed an animal I would just about garentee it. They way I see it was
1 You protected those kids and Thank God they are safe.
2 You did away with a threatening animal even if it was only looking for some KFC
3 You saw what is call a "vicious dog" for what it can really truely be.
4 You aren't going to waste the bear (bear bacon).

PS It works pretty good like roast beef too! Now go hug those GK!

Quote:
Weimar is between Sacramento and Reno off I80. I overlook the American River cayon, we never had this problem until the area started getting the retirees from the city. They think it is cute to feed the wild animals. They can't take care of themselves. It is now left to those of us that know what these animals can do if they have a mind to.

If you shoot it, put it on the table. All wildlife is eatable. Most is better than store bought.

Believe it or not pit bulls were originally raised to take care of the kids from i think Aztec times. When the family would goto WAR with others.

Well i swear by them and have never had a problem with my rednose pits i have had my daughter is 11 and was fine with my first dog and the dog would actually make sure she did not go to close to the fence like a mama dog.

The dog i have now just thinks she is a big lap dog LOL!!

i like pitbulls. i don't own them but have two neighbors who have. they were nothing but good to my chihuahuas. i have only seem them be protective in a good way. it really does depend on how they're raised.

really glad the kids are safe!

good for you for taking care of the situation. it had to be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom