Blue Perfection- What Is The Perfect Chicken Blue ~~Discussion~~

Birch Run Farm

Biddy up!
11 Years
Sep 5, 2008
VERMONT
Blue.

Well, in chickens it looks more gray but is blue none-the-less. I am looking for the best blue in my flock and always looking to improve. I'd like to get a discussion going concerning perfection, genetics and anything else related to blue chickens, any breed, any mix. I'll be posting more photos as we get going but here are a couple to start.

What is perfect blue? Light blue? Dark blue? Medium...

Here are a few examples from my birds

#1. Mixed breed pullet with gypsy face, she is shown in different positions to get an over all view of her color.

IMG_2605.jpg

IMG_2606.jpg

IMG_2607.jpg

Is she a perfect blue color?

#2. Blue wheaten ameraucana

IMG_2596.jpg

#3. Young blue ameraucana cockerel

blue1.jpg

#4. Young pullet BC marans X blue ameraucana

IMG_2602.jpg

Same pullet several weeks ago:

IMG_2350.jpg

IMG_2297.jpg

#5 Almost black but is blue, chick

IMG_2600.jpg

Another question, thought: In poultry of mixed colors, such as blue wheaten, do the other colors enhance blue?

In general, I prefer the lighter tints/shades of blue, although with laced, I like as much contrast as possible, prefering #1 over #4. However, I have seen silkies that were very clearly NAVY, very dark, but distinctly blue, not black. That is a really lovely and unusual hue. Some of the lighter birds appear more blue than grey in hue, and those I prefer, also. I have no idea what adds that hue to their feathers. Here is a blue partridge pullet--her blue is very BLUE looking, as she has gotten older, her red had darkened, but the blue is pretty much the same.
20590_imgp1336--cropped_blue_partridge_pullet.jpg
20590_imgp0119--cropped.jpg
20590_imgp1335--cropped_adj.jpg

More important than shade is evenness of colour & consistency of lacing [in Andalusian Blue that is]. Self Blue is something different but I assume you're tallking Andalusian Blue.

Last edited:
My favorite is like the first gypsy headed hen. The darker blue laced birds with the darker heads. Though I really love most expressions of blue.

Back
Top Bottom