Fowl Pox/dry Pox question/undated with pics

cassey40

Songster
10 Years
Jun 5, 2009
beaufort, sc
I have a rooster that has brown looking spots on his comb,and i was thinking it could be fowl pox. What should i do with him since he is with alot of other chicks, and he is about 19weeks and he seems to be doing fine and he is eating and drinking water. Is their any thing i can do to save him.I will add pic later when i get home

P.s should i be worried for the rest of my chicks.Thanks for any answers

33487_pic01.jpg

33487_pic02.jpg

33487_pic03.jpg

Last edited:
He is doing fine but you haven't seen him eat or drink? Can you clear that up for us. The only thing you can do for pox is to make sure they are getting enough nutrition and add poultry vitamins to their water so they can fight the virus and get better sooner and hopefully you won't lose them. Add greens to their diet and healthy treats like corn on the cob and different kinds of berries but not too much.

You can dip a q-tip in iodine and use it to place a dot of iodine on the lesions. Do this once a day. It should help them to dry up faster. Never use iodine near the eyes.

Pox is caused by mosquitos so make sure nothing around your property is holding stagnent water to keep the mosquito population down.

Anyone else have anymore ideas?

I hope the roo is better soon and the others don't get sick.

Pox is caused by mosquito bites. Once they have it, they are immune to it. They don't generally cause problems unless they get into the mouth or nose and cause them to die from choking on food, etc. You can dab toothpaste on the spots if you like to help dry them out, but generally just make sure to watch that they ARE drinking and eating. Drinking especially in this hot weather.

Bookmark this page for everything poultry disease:
http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/index.html

Quote:
SOunds good to me. By the way, the iodine helps prevent secondary infections. Try wetting his feed or feeding him some cooked egg to get him to eat. It's important that he eat and drink during this, and yes please do give him and all the others vitamins throughout his illness. It's possible the others have it too but aren't showing symptoms. So you want to boost all their immunities so that they, too, can be immune to this from now on.

The course can be four weeks sometimes. The scabs are another source of infection. So if you have bedding, discard it after all the birds have dropped their scabs. Watch carefully for secondary infections of the bumps. Let us know by updating *this* thread if you have any problems with infection and we'll help you out.

Quote:

SOunds good to me. By the way, the iodine helps prevent secondary infections. Try wetting his feed or feeding him some cooked egg to get him to eat. It's important that he eat and drink during this, and yes please do give him and all the others vitamins throughout his illness. It's possible the others have it too but aren't showing symptoms. So you want to boost all their immunities so that they, too, can be immune to this from now on.

The course can be four weeks sometimes. The scabs are another source of infection. So if you have bedding, discard it after all the birds have dropped their scabs. Watch carefully for secondary infections of the bumps. Let us know by updating *this* thread if you have any problems with infection and we'll help you out.
I was wondering is there anything I can give my chicks around the house that would boost their immune systems. I'm outta work no money and all my chickens have fowl pox!!! Also I lost my oldest one my best friend the other day!!! P.s. I'm doing the toothpaste trick an cleaning everything up good.( Thanks for y'all s help)

Back
Top Bottom