Can an otter take down a toulouse goose??? Please read

JaciesCoop

Songster
12 Years
Aug 16, 2007
Arizona
We have a over 80year old canal that is now just a creek that runs along the southern edge of our property. It's about 25 feet across and 4 to 5 feet deep. We have beaver in it but now a new resident has moved in.
Our geese swim in it all the time.
The neighbors geese also and also her 2 ducks. Today as my hubby was out finishing the new goose pen (we needed a spare) he heard a terrible racket in the creek. He went running down and there were at least 5 and probably more otters having a feeding frenzy. He finally figured out it was the 2 ducks. After they left all we found were a very few feathers.

I'm just sick about the ducks as is their owner.
My question is: Can they take down a goose?? I've locked our geese up but I hate to keep them away from the creek for too long.

These are big North American River otters.

Has anyone had experience with them going after their geese?

Any advice is welcomed.
Thanks
Jacie

The creek
rh32.jpg

rh35.jpg

No experience with otters personally.

I would NOT let my geese in the creek after witnessing what happened to the ducks.

I am pretty sure that if the otters wanted to dine on geese, they could very well overcome and kill one. They are a member of the weasel family after all.
hmm.png

I bet they could take down a goose...espically since you said there were more than 5 of them..
can you trap the otters??

If you cannot trap the otters yourself, locate a local trapper assocation and offer them hunting/trapping rights. They'll set the traps and take care of the animals. Some will charge a fee, but many will do it just for the harvested animals.

Quote:
Well, call animal control, sometimes they know the number to Wildlife Damage control, and you can report that you have otters eating your and your neighbors waterfowl. Maybe they can do something about it.

If not, then the only legal option would be to lock your birds up in an otter proof pen.

Illegal options would be to kill or remove the otters.

Quote:
Well, call animal control, sometimes they know the number to Wildlife Damage control, and you can report that you have otters eating your and your neighbors waterfowl. Maybe they can do something about it.

That's a good idea. I probably can't get them until Monday but will try them and also game and fish, which is just 3 miles from us.

Thanks everyone.

The geese are in predator proof pens.

Jacie

Back
Top Bottom