Please post pics of underside of ducks feet

jmc

Crowing
12 Years
Jul 22, 2008
South Central MA
I gotta go to bed. But I will put some on in a day or two.

I would like to see if what I think are normal callouses on my birds also appear on YOUR birds too.

Or do I need to worry about what I'm seeing.

I am not asking for diseased foot photos (though a bumble foot of duck might be nice to see).

I think this thread could help others

In this picture, I think what is on top (not the cut below) is a callous. Many of my birds have this marking and they seem to zip around very well!

I should add that the bird with this foot had to be culled three wks. ago Wed.

badfoot.jpg

Notice the top mark, though, it really isn't swollen, and it closely resembles what several of our birds have--and they seem quite okay. The problem area with this birds foot in the picture here (it seems to me) was the crack below............RIP Marissa

BUT I STILL AM GOING TO POST PICS OF MY OTHER BIRDS' UNDERFEET. I know this bird was deathly ill..........BUT WHAT ABOUT THE OTHERS WHOSE FEET YOU SHALL SEE

Last edited by a moderator:
looks like bumblefoot to me... did you try to remove the bumble? Any antibiotic treatment? What kind of surface are your ducks on?

that top one is not normal... it doesn't look like full on bumblefoot... cut a cut or a blister. A calous on a duck foot is the same color as their skin, sometimes lighter on a darker colored foot, and well, looks like a callous on your hand or foot. That top part of her foot is a scab, but looks like no infection under it. Here is a pic of ming mei's bumblefoot from last winter-

S7306523.jpg

here is a pic of the two feet together... the lighter colored spots on her good foot are callouses

S7306530.jpg

well, she had a bit of a scab on her other foot too, now that i see the picture... I almost forgot about that... it was a scab that never got infected like her bad foot. They'll get scabs from time to time, you only need to worry when they get swollen, look yellow, or if when you squish the swollen part it feels hard. Puss in ducks turns hard like cheese, rather than liquidy like in mammals. If you press on any callous that looks suspicious and it's hard, that's usually a good indictor that it's infected. If kinda squishy, it's a normal callous most likely. if you are ever not sure, posting always helps.

Note that the pic I posted above was on a bird who is now dead, ravaged by infection.

Just wanted to get something on as a starter.

I hope to get some pictures of the healthy birds' feet soon.

BTW, the run for our ducks is about 90 % percent grass, 5 percent soft sand, 5 percent packed earth with typical New England stones relentlessly appearing on it.

In other words, these birds have a nice soft yard for the most part.....

Back
Top Bottom