Color Question With Silkies And Their Eggs

kysilkies

Songster
10 Years
May 3, 2009
Elizabethtown, KY
Well, actually who's the mommy!...

Our first silkies laid 2 eggs this week but we're not sure who's the momma...Here's the setup, 1 black rooster, 2 white, 1 black, 1 partridge(which I saw the rooster, umm, do his duty this evening to) and 1 buff females(we don't think it's the buff's, she seems a little slow maturing and is much smaller than the rest...They're all between 5-6mths old...With these 2 eggs, none of the hens are paying any attention to them so we don't know who's they are...

The question is how can we tell who the mommy(s) are?...These 2 eggs look very similar so it could be one of them since they dropped 3-4 days apart...

Also, what colors should we expect with a black rooster mating with each of our females?!?!?!?!
black & buff = ?
black & white = ?
black & black = ?(assuming black here LOL)
black & partridge = ?

Thank you so much in advance!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Put them in the incubator and see what you get!
smile.png

We did on those!
fl.gif

But, since we only have one rooster, when combined with the other colors, what's dominate?...We're looking to see what each combo will produce, if that is known...Thanx again!

Quote:
I'd have no problem with that, I love our black beauties!...Do the colors show in the neck area?...Our black female has some reddish brown around her neck and we thought it may have been from a cross-color breeding...Thanx!!

Quote:
black & buff = buffs with more black in tail and wings than buff parent, possibly some blacks
black & white = completely unpredictable
black & black = ?(assuming black here LOL) Yes, black
black & partridge = Partridge with incomplete penciling; possibly some blacks with gold leakage

Quote:
black & buff = buffs with more black in tail and wings than buff parent, possibly some blacks
black & white = completely unpredictable
black & black = ?(assuming black here LOL) Yes, black
black & partridge = Partridge with incomplete penciling; possibly some blacks with gold leakage

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom