Egg basket help needed

dsnewark

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 4, 2009
Tired of broken eggs in my kids coat pockets. Need to find something to carry eggs up from the barn in. Gave them a basket and they rolled into each other and broke. What is the solution for clumsy kids and fragile eggs?

Dave

welcome-byc.gif

I like small egg baskets lined with a towel or some shavings.
However, make sure that your hens also have a good source of calcium to make the egg shells stronger. Maybe put some Organic Apple Cider Vinegar in their drinking water as well as it will help in a better absorption of the calcium.

Coffee can with some straw in, if you want them not to roll around.

Though if the kids are really apathetic enough about them that they broke them in a basket (eggs are pretty tough), I doubt that any amount of padding is going to do them much good. How old are they? (The kids, not the eggs!)

I just have designated egg picken' egg cartons. When they get wore out or dirty I just toss them. I was just thinking ... what a nice christmas present a wicker type basket would be for collecting eggs.

I searched for egg basket in google and did you know there is a dish called "egg in basket"? It is a egg fried in the center of a piece of bread or biscuit. http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Eggs-in-a-Basket

I used to make that for my kids all the time, but we used to call it "that thing with the egg in the middle" LOL
I am sort of amused at the broken eggs in the pockets. I've been sticking them in my coat pockets and I'm just waiting for forget one is there and sit on it or something.

Quote:
My mom always called that "bull's eye." My DH calls it "toad in the hole." What ever it is called, it is yummy!

Thats what we call it at our house. My BIL calls it an Egg in a Frame.

Quote:
My mom always called that "bull's eye." My DH calls it "toad in the hole." What ever it is called, it is yummy!

Thats what we call it at our house. My BIL calls it an Egg in a Frame.

well in UK that is not toad in the hole
smile.png
Toad in the hole is a banger sausage in yorkshire pudding lol

Growing up we always called it sunshine pockets.

Back
Top Bottom