Pale comb after molt?

phatchicken

In the Brooder
10 Years
11 Years
Jan 24, 2009
Salt Lake City
Howdy - I have three hens that have just finished molting, and I noticed their combs are unnaturally pale...is this normal? Do they need extra somethin' somethin' s in their diet? They have started laying again after about a two month hiatus...

Hi, I see the response that it is normal and have read that BUT... I had one of my girls go through a VERY heavy Molt. I almost thought she became so weak that it was going to kill her. She was my Strongest girl too. She barely moved, stayed huddled in a corner and it lasted for weeks. Her Comb also went from very bright, vibrant Red to a very very pale greyish red. That was almost 2 months ago now and she has regained her strength but Not her color. She still is very timid (not her past personality) and keeps to herself. I know she will not make another Molt.

I have feed her tons of protein, yogurt, vitamins... and still nothing. I too am very worried. Any thoughts out there on what else to do is greatly appreciated as we are into Winter and not sure how she'll do if she is really weak (based on her comb color)

Many THanks
Heather

It sounds like there might have been something else going on with your hen than just a molt. When my hens molt, they do stop laying and thier comb color is a bit paler, but there is not usually a significant depression/behavior change. Have you checked for mites or wormed your flock lately?

NO I have not checked for either. She is Laying again and has a lot more spunk but still she is not herself at all. I dont see any mites but cant get close enough to her to really check. Not sure how to tell if she has worms but I could treat the drinking water with a worm control?

Back
Top Bottom