As promised A&M meat VS Pharaoh Meat

AHappychick

Wanna-be Farmer
11 Years
Dec 16, 2008
westchester
Ok Months ago I promised to take a pic showing that my A&M breast meat was in fact white meat unlike my jumbos and pharaohs.

Well I had a bunch of skinned quail in the freezer and made them last night for dinner as my parents are in town.

Just as Justin was cutting into one I realized he had an A&M and yelled "wait I need to get the camera!" I havent processed many A&M cause my Covey is small and I am working towards breeding more but here and there I have an extra roo that ends up in freezer camp.

Anyway it was not planned so the pic is not great but I halted diner and cut into a pharaoh for comparison. My Parents think I am nuts BTW.

A&M is on the left and a regular pharaoh is on the right.

quailmeatdarkandlight.jpg

Last edited:
I have read many times the TA&M quail was developed to have all white meat... suposedly to have 8-10oz of it.

they are supposed to be white meat as that is what Texas Univ. created them for but from what I can gather many have bred them with other varieties so some that are around have white feathers but regular darker meat. There were some people on BYC that thought it was a myth that they had white meat at all.

I am sorry the pic is so bad but rest assured they are a different color and were all cooked together so one is no more cooked than the other they all had a organic jerk rub on them.
big_smile.png

I will do a better presentation when I actually have a few that I am processing side by side.

heh, it was on the dinner table. i'm surprised it wasn't all gone by the time you got the camera! it's still a good example for newbies like me!

i'll keep the A&M on my list of poultry to eventually add in the coming years then!

Thanks Happychick. I was surprised to see the difference after reading all the skepticism. That's encouraging. Hopefully you don't have the last of the pure A & M's
smile.png
Where did you get yours? More importantly, how did you cook them? They look delicious!

Quote:
oh I surely don't since I got my eggs from various breeders from eggbid and from here. The A&M you see have been hard to come by though. The fellow is on here and eggbid some of the birds are from him I cant think of his name though.... but his auctions are easy to find as his eggs are expensive, and claims to have gotten them from the first group created by Texas A&M. I bought a large number of eggs from him and only had a few hatch so I have been building numbers slowly. The size is good though (my females are 13 ounces and more some up to almost 15!) His feedback is mixed and he is not easy to deal with but his birds are real. I will pm you the name if I can figure it out.
Some are from another breeder but I don't remember who it was now. Sorry!

As for cooking them I usually stuff with a potato dish I make (I posted that a while ago) but this time I did not have any roasted potato dish to stuff them with so I did a jerk chicken dry rub and the lined them up side by side legs to breast and covered the tops with a 1 layer blanket of bacon. then at 350 until temp was right then a quick broil to crisp up the bacon and done. They were very good, my father who never had quail before liked them.
smile.png

I have these little poultry thermometer that goes from the rare to well done for poultry only and it is awesome for cooking them just right.

Last edited:
Texas A & m quail are all white meat / there is an english quail that is white in color but not the meat
Be sure you trust who you buy A & m s from
There is only one true strain

MIKE

I bought A&ms because i had heard that they are SUPPOSED to be white meat birds.. (the TEXAS A&Ms..)
but..the ones i got wernt white meat like yours happychick, so they must not have been true Texas A&M's....(i'll need to buy some eggs off ya in the spring, because it looks like you have the true breed/line that i'm looking for! )
smile.png

So..no, shes NOT cooking the books or undercooking her quail meat...
roll.png

A&Ms are SUPPOSED to be white meat...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom