Chickenrandomness

12 Years
Sep 13, 2009
Stanley, North Dakota
Jap Thread!
tongue.png

i love japanese
big_smile.png
i currently have grey japanese (who i think are pretty nice) and black tailed white japanese (long legged, so not sq). I have a few photos on photobucket ill put up, not the best pics, but you get the idea!

this is my breeding trio
chicken030.jpg

chicken032.jpg

chicks from my breeding trio:
Cockerals
chickensdec09020.jpg

chickensdec09024.jpg

pullet
026-1.jpg

Sizz- to bad im way over here in canada! beautiful birds! im trying to get some mottleds on a hatchery order, we will see if they have any for the order date! i know they wont be that nice from a hatchery, but they are hard to find here!

Hey, Siz, I have some Paul Kroll Mottled Japanese too! I picked them up at the Ohio National this year. I haven't hatched from them yet. I have some BTW in the hatcher right now, and one from an earlier hatch that thinks its a quail.

So since this is a Japanese thread, let me start the discussion with the lethal short leg gene. I know when I got my first ones from a hatchery, I had no idea that they were "long legged". They looked like short legs to me. And, next to OEGB and Sebrights, they were short legged. Then I saw some real Show Japs and found out what short legs really were. The short leg gene is lethal in a double dose. Short leg x short leg = 25% long leg, 50% short leg and 25% dead in the shell. Short leg x long leg = 50% long and 50% short. So what is short? Lets get some posters with pics of legs. I haven't got any right now, but can put some up in a day or so if we don't have any others. Sometimes the newly hatched with their big yolk bellies have such short legs that they just sort of paddle around and have trouble getting anywhere until some of the yolk is better absorbed. In addition to the lethal gene, many breeders have some problems with fertility. Many pluck or trim the feathers around the vent to make contact easier.

jenjscott- good post! important to know about the lethal gene with this breed.

here are some photos of my btw japanese, you can see how long their legs are compared to the pics of my grey japanese (whose wings drag on the ground and you can hardly see their feet).

057.jpg

chickensdec09082.jpg

Back
Top Bottom