Whatchagot Stew

ConchRepublic

Looking For My Marbles
10 Years
Jan 22, 2010
Dunnellon, Fl
This is a recipe I got out of a book called The New Elk Hunter's Cookbook. This recipe is literally for whatever meat you have. I've made it before with rabbit and it's really good. Can be spicy though. I wasn't able to finish it because it called for bouillon cubes and I didn't notice that the cubes we had contained MSG, which I get a godawful headache from just a tad bit.

4 14.5oz cans of diced tomatoes
1 cup water
2 bay leaves (this is what makes the spiciness of it)
1 beef bouillon cube
1.5 teaspoons dried oregano
3 cloves of chopped garlic
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons sugar
3lbs wild meat (deer, moose, elk, etc...) or 2 rabbits, or 3 squirrels, or and equal ammount of any other kind of meat (Doves, quail, chicken, beef, WHATEVER lol)
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt (This goes in a different part of the recipe than the first bit of salt)
1/2 teaspoon pepper (Same as salt)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 large sliced onions
3 large cubed potatoes
2 stalks chopped celery
3 large carrots sliced
3 tablespoons flour (same deal as other 2)
1/2 cup cold water

Combine the first 9 ingredients in a large, heavy pot and simmer, covered, for 1 hour.

Dredge the meat in the four seasoned with salt & pepper. Brown meat in olive oil. Add onions and cook until onions are tender (about 10 minutes). Combine with the Tomato mixture and simmer, uncovered, until meat is tender (about 2 hours).

Add potatoes, celery, and carrots to stew and simmer, uncovered, for 30-45 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

Mix 3 tablespoons flour with 1/2cup cold water. Stir until smooth. Add to stew and simmer until slightly thickened.

Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Back
Top Bottom