New Hampshire Breed Thread

Pics

usschicago1

Suburban Cochins
10 Years
Aug 11, 2009
Taunton, MA
Hello Everyone!
I would like to start a new Hampshire Thread. Did a search and cant seem to find one.
This is Everything NEW HAMPSHIRE Red's. Pictures discussions ext.

Full/Bantam size

Last edited:
Does anyone know how RARE the bantam type is? I know one person who has the bantam. It seems nobody on the site has them?
-Mark

Not much in this thread from October 2009.

A bit more information in this thread from January 2010.

A bit more in this thread from November 2009.

Generally seems like there isn't much interest in the breed. I've been looking for a large growing line (for meat), but haven't had much luck.

It seems like little is known about these. Even on those thread. Not a thing on the bantams. Thanks for those links !!
big_smile.png

I have 11 full size NH Red hens and 1 Rooster. They are about 6 months old and the hens just started laying New Years weekend. I am new to raising chickens and am having a great time with it. The Reds are beutiful birds. I know they are dual purpose but are they still good to eat when they get older, around two years?

Oooh A New Hampshire Red thread! I'd certainly agree, there is very little on these - I myself, about a year ago, bought some from a hatchery with curiousity. They were said to be better than RIR's (which I'm not the biggest fan of, I like rare breeds) so I got some. They turned out to be great, and very beautiful for hatchery birds! I'm now in the process of breeding the best of my girls and boy, and hope that goes well. Some things I can say about them is that they are very friendly, both to themselves and to people (even strangers) the roosters are the best I've had experience with, and the egg laying is pretty good! (Pretty too, they're a light pink color due to tiny dimples of white all over)

. . . Now if only I had some pics to show. My camera's batteries are on their way, so, all I have are photos of my girls and boy from when they were 5 months and younger.

Mine are from a hathery as well. They are all friendly except my rooster. He has recently started to attack my 4year old daughter when she attempts to do her chores,, collecting eggs. She is scared of him and has started carrying a stick while collecting eggs. He is however, a great rooster and takes care of his ladies quite well when I let them out into the field. I would like to hatch some of my own eggs but really don't know where to start. Forgive me for my ignorance but is it o.k. to hatch eggs from brother and sister parents?

Quote:
Thats fine its called line breeding :) Also you can eat your chickens at 2 years but they can only be soup chicken lol:) Your not ignorant that a good question!

Back
Top Bottom