how soon after worming can I eat the eggs?

artist chick

Songster
11 Years
Aug 26, 2008
Auburn, Alabama
We keep our bantams separate from the rest of our chickens, and last week we discovered the bantams had worms. We wormed them the next day, and went ahead and wormed the regular sized hens a couple of days later. Right now hardly anyone is laying, but we did get an egg today. How soon after giving the chickens the worm medicine can we eat the eggs they lay?

Thanks for your help!

haha!
lol.png
Well, we're supposed to do a second treatment 10 days after the first, from what I understand. 2nd trt for our bantams is this Friday, then for the others it's a few days later (I need to look at my calendar). So I should throw away the egg we just got today, I guess.
roll.png

I eat eggs when I worm and tell customers, a few don't care. What I've been told is the only thing eating them can do is make you immuned to a wormer if you ever needed it....................I'm just not worried about it and the eggs don't taste any different. 10 days after the 2nd worming then it's ok for me to sell all of the eggs.

okay, thank you!! That is helpful. What you're saying essentially is that I can eat them whenever I want to, but 10 days after the second treatment I could sell them withouth even mentioning that I've wormed my chickens. Correct? Very helpful!

There is a natural dewormer(I forget the name at the moment) that you don't have to wait at all after deworming. I have seen it advertised in one of my chicken books.

I'm wondering the same thing. I will start with Wazine tomorrow, and I'm assuming that starting Friday I have to toss the eggs. What's the reason? Is wormer toxic for humans? Or, is it something from the dying/dead worms that passes into the egg that's toxic? I wouldn't even know where to begin to look for that specific information. If they're not fit for human consumption, what about dog or chicken consumption? A dozen eggs a day is a lot for 17 chickens and two dogs, don't ya think? LOL

I wormed my chickens recently with Wazine, then two weeks later with Ivermectin pour-on. We're going to wait two weeks after the last worming to eat the eggs, but I have been boiling the eggs and feeding them back to the chickens in the meantime. After boiling, I just mash 'em up, shells and all, and they love 'em.

Back
Top Bottom