Question regarding Red-Sexlinks

Mrs MIA

Chick Magnet
11 Years
Mar 3, 2008
I am crossing a RIR roo with a Delaware hen... but it has come to my attention that the RIR Roo may not be pure. He looks like it, but then hmmmm... he has white on his earlobes.
hmm.png
Will the fact that he's not 100% RIR affect the sexing of his chicks?

Quote:
That's what I was hoping... I waited all this time raising up the birds, hatched my first 3 chicks, and what are the odds all three would be girls? They are all red. So I'm waiting for the next hatch to see if we get any white males.
I was doing the surfing on the red sex links, and only in the description of Red Stars did I see the mention of "purebred" RIR roo... none of the others mention it at all. So I was worried for a bit. One more week and we'll have 10 more hatching.
smile.png

thank you~

Are you sure he is a R.I. Red and not a production red?
Some lines of production reds have Leghorn blood in them..

Chris

Quote:
I'm pretty sure he's a RIR. Though most of the birds up here are probably mixes of something or another if bred here in the state. LOL! I purchased him from someone at our local fair, and he was sold as a RIR. I didn't notice the earlobes until after my first round of chicks was born. I'm probably going to order a pure RIR just to cover my bases next year.
wink.png

Do you have a picture of him. I would have actually though that hatcheries would be using production reds instead of the real RIRs in their sexlinks anyway. I will be using a Buff Orp roo with RIW hens to get golden sexlinks this sping. With using RIW hens I should get gold hens with white tails, with you using delawares, you should get red hens with black tails, like RIRs.

Quote:
Gold sex-links sound lovely.
smile.png

I guess it doesn't really matter what he is, as long as the babies can be sexed at birth.
wink.png
I'll go grab a photo... brb.

OK... here he is. He's still a cockerel, but now comparing him to photos found on the web, he's pretty scrawny for a pure RIR.
6962_img_6763.jpg

Here's a head-shot. (He had a bit of frostbite back in November, so his points are nubby
tongue.png
)
6962_img_6765.jpg

What do you think? Do you think it was just dumb luck that I got all girls from the first hatch?
Here's one of the chicks.
6962_img_6751.jpg

Thanks for the input. I'll know on Monday if this is truly working or not.
smile.png

Yep, definitly not a pure RIR, I would say he's a RIR X Brown Leghorn, which should still work I guess for sexlinks and if so, he may be even better than a pure RIR as far as his daughters being good layers. Just keep hatching and see if you get any white roos.

Back
Top Bottom