Market Price for Coturnix Eating Eggs

Byrdj

Songster
Dec 7, 2008
Commerce, GA
What is the price on the street for a 10 pack of Coturnix quail eggs for eating? I'm charging $1.00 but thinking that price is too low and not enough to cover my feed costs.

Well im pretty sure coturnix eat 2lbs of feed for 1lb of eggs so just find out your feed costs and you will know
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Does that take into account a certain percentage of males, or is that the average of a strictly female pen?

That is the weight of eggs per weight of feed only, and accurate as far as the research that I have done.

You do ask a valid question, but since egg production (for eating) doesn't need any roos, you will have to use a different formula to figure out total cost per bird and build that into the cost of eggs. There are to many variables for me to figure that cost out, but I will be working on it soon.

I think most people that sell eggs just for hatching or both will build roo feed cost into hatching eggs, but I think everyone may have their own way to figure it all out.

I'm sure someone will help us out here with advice
smile.png

Quote:
You are most likely making up your feed cost per pound of eggs at that price. All other expenses; You will have to figure out yourself.
Here are some hard figures as I see them, followed by other costs to consider. Any dollar figure is based on what I pay, everyone will have to punch in their own figures.

At 2 pound's of feed per one pound of eggs. This is what it costs me for eggs only, and other variables. The prices are rounded.

50# of 30% Purina GBS costs $16. That's 32 cents/lb. so 1# of eggs costs me 64 cents. That's my total Feed Cost Per Pound of Eggs.
A 10 pk. of nice size coturnix eggs weighs an average of 5 oz.
So (16/5=3.2) and (64/3.2=20) so 10 coturnix eggs cost me 20 cents in feed cost.

Bare minimum expenses
I buy the 10 pk. egg cartons by the hundred and their approximate cost per each is 20 cents delivered.

My grand total (Feed cost per 10 pack egg carton plus the cost of the carton is 40 cents).

Charge what your market will bare!
That's just my assessment of the bare feed cost of eggs and cartons. I respect anyone that checks my math, as well as any cost saving measures added.

At $1.00 per 10 pack you are covering your feed cost and carton cost, but most likely not making much of a profit because of your overhead.

Thanks for all your help. It sounds like I need to start asking for my customers to return the egg cartons since they cost me as much as the feed!

Quote:
What some people do is charge for the carton/s in the first sale, then give them a discount on their next order when they return usable cartons.

I don't know what you plan to charge, but it looks something like this.

$1.20ea. for the first sale, then something like $1.10ea. on their next order with each returned carton. You should probably stress that it is a discount on future orders, not a refund for the cartons. You don't want to start buying back used cartons.

they are considered gourmet items in my area - I get the same price for a dozen quail eggs as I do for a dozen free-range duck eggs ($6/doz). Maybe you could phone some gourmet food places in your area, see if they have them and what they are priced at?

Quote:
I plan on doing that but right now have so many customers that I can keep them supplied. There are a lot of Vietnamese people where I live and they like them better than chicken eggs. Word of mouth works well, especially when my price is better than the Asian specialty stores.

I pickle the eggs. Then you have to take into account the price of the quart jars, and lids. However...I get 8.99 a jar. Then, if you offer a discount for returned jars, you can wash them out, and just buy new lids. Around here, 8.99 for a quart jar of pickled quail eggs isn't bad.

Back
Top Bottom