My Gonzo - UPDATE !!!!

JulieZ

Songster
9 Years
Feb 5, 2010
Trenton, Florida
Previous post about my 'sickly' (Light Brahma) Gonzo ... https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=295814

Here he is now!! He is starting his 4th week of life and was steadily moving around so it was hard for me to get a good shot. I hope to gather more later on.

In my previous post I stated Gonzo had something that resembled "hitch hikers" ... duh ... that was his feathers coming in.
tongue.png
He still has a bare belly and is smaller then everyone yet he is doing great. We decided that if we have a pile of roo's we'd get rid of them ... except Gonzie. I love him!
love.gif

Looking through photographs here on BYC, I have this sneaky feeling Gonzie is a roo by his stance. I realize that doesn't count just yet. Just a wild feeling is all. If anyone else has a sneaky feeling ... LMK.

Julie

48421_dsc_7561.jpg

Last edited:
Oh I hope so !!! I love "him". LOL

Gonzie is so full of feathers now that I'm having a hard time telling "hopefully her" apart from the other fluffs running around. I have to study hard & only when she "roosters up" (chest out/head high) can I tell it's "her".

Julie

I have a feeling that it's a boy with all that black coloring on it's back. My light brahma hen did not feather out with that much black. I'd say in another couple weeks you'll know for sure.

Quote:
Lots of black coming in makes a difference between a roo & hen? I've looked at photographs till my head spins to try & hope for a heads up but while one photo shows a lot of black on a rooster, the next photograph says it's a hen with that black. I'm so impatient.
tongue.png

Julie

Quote:
Lots of black coming in makes a difference between a roo & hen? I've looked at photographs till my head spins to try & hope for a heads up but while one photo shows a lot of black on a rooster, the next photograph says it's a hen with that black. I'm so impatient.
tongue.png

Julie

Of the pictures I've seen of female chicks, they look "cleaner" through their backs. They will still have black coming in on hackle feathers and tail though. I myself only have 1 light brahma though, so I could be wrong.

Here's a picture of a pullet with black through her back, so I guess it's possible, just not desirable. (post #9)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=169790

Here's how my girl feathered in. (post 115)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=169790&p=12

So it looks like it could go either way.
fl.gif
for you.

Going on the feather comment & how they lay a certain way along with the excitement of not knowing boy from girl & the love of the guessing game ... I stood over my chickens studying them. Without a doubt in my mind, I have "a" hen. Her feathers are so perfect. They lay graciously down as if they were woven that way. There's little to no black coming in on her back & she is as timid as can be. Now ... if someone bursts my bubble before then, I'll be very sad. I WANT her to be a hen. I NEED a hen.
big_smile.png

Compared to Gonzie's feathers in the photo ... he looks like a quilt I made ... all pieces are in different places & none of it flows together. Now that he has more, he's even worse. I just hope I'm explaining this well. LOL

I will post post more photo's in about a week.

Julie

Back
Top Bottom