Are they truly game fowls?

Flockking

Songster
Feb 25, 2021
Alright guy so I've been in a breeding plan of what I believe are game birds since I got this little guy like around 4years back

Screenshot_20240129-175736.png

He grew to a very beautiful red roo
Screenshot_20240129-175700.png

Which I later had to sadly get rid of cus he was aggressive, the week I got rid of him I visited the man I bought him from to check if he had more cus I just loved their small size

Then he didn't have no chicks but a bunch of pullets for sale so I got this young lady
Screenshot_20240129-180218.png

The process of purchase I ask about the breed and he said they where game, though the exact type he doesn't know anymore cus they're like around 30 different game hens with 5 different roos running freely on his property reproducing

I then asked if I could get 1 off the roos to take home for the pullet above but he wasn't selling any so a couple days later I bumped into a road side seller with what resembled the birds I'd bought

So I also stopped to ask the breed which he said they where game type bird, at this point I was confused cus his bird's where bigger and more cost than the previous breeder, but with the pullet I got already laying eggs I have to quickly get a roo from this breeder

Which came along this guy
Screenshot_20240129-180237.png

He was an older bird of around 1year at least, he had mahd spurs with scars all over his face like he was being used for fights

He then crossed my white pullet producing my first ever hatch
Screenshot_20240129-180733.png

Along the line I got rid of that roo cus he was very noisy and where I live is in town I couldn't have the landlords complaining and later got this little guy as a chick from the first breeder
Screenshot_20240129-180137.png

Which I later still rehomed cus I didn't like his plumage

Now the current male Ive got is this guy
Screenshot_20240129-180101.png

Around 5month old from a friend
Which was the sire to the daughter of that my first white hen and the bigger sized roo
Screenshot_20240129-180048.png

Screenshot_20240129-180307.png

So my question is looking at the photos presented are they really game birds or a totally different thing

I'm sure there is some game fowl blood in all of those, but they're probably not pure game fowl. Good quality game fowl are generally expensive, and they have a pretty distinctive look. Muscular, and usually with that upright stance in front. Old English game bantams are really more for showing than fighting.

The one seller who said he had several game fowl roosters all together kind of gave himself away, because the roosters will not tolerate other roosters, but will usually fight to the death.

Since they're small maybe Old English Game Bantams.
OEGBs are not really like "fighting" chicken game fowl.
My first guess exactly after scrolling through photos of game chickens but the big guy
What do you think of him cus he was at least the size of a small - medium size chicken, at least bigger than any of the game males I'd had

I'm sure there is some game fowl blood in all of those, but they're probably not pure game fowl. Good quality game fowl are generally expensive, and they have a pretty distinctive look. Muscular, and usually with that upright stance in front. Old English game bantams are really more for showing than fighting.

The one seller who said he had several game fowl roosters all together kind of gave himself away, because the roosters will not tolerate other roosters, but will usually fight to the death.
So you mean they do have the game blood but not pure for an oegb

So you mean they do have the game blood but not pure for an oegb
They're mixes. The standards depend on what country you live in. But in America they should have white legs in most varieties, red earlobes, not white. They should fit specific color patterns, and they should have a specific weight and body shape. None of yours really fits any purebred game fowl standard.

Here are pictures of good black breasted red OEGBs.

bbroegbc.jpg
black-breasted-red-old-english-game-hen.jpg

Back
Top Bottom