What is wrong with Goliath's Comb? Pics!

BirdBrain

Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers
12 Years
May 7, 2007
Alaska
Goliath has had a dark spot on both sides of his comb for weeks. He does not seem to have any other symptoms and it does not seem to bother him for us to touch his comb. I can't figure out what is causing this discoloration. As you can see, he is a really big bird. He is a year old and comes from Hinkjc. He is docile as can be and we really like him. He is very heavy and doesn't seem to be missing much in the way of meals. What can be the matter with him?

2020_goliath_full_body.jpg

2020_goliath_left_side.jpg

2020_goliath_right_side.jpg

Last edited:
He probally got attacked or scratched it on something. Maybe its fungus but dont ask me I really would just think it happen due to fighting

If you look closely you can see that it is on both sides of the comb. He has no other roosters to fight with. Do they get fungus on their combs? Why?

Sometimes my roosters get that and I think it is from hens picking them. Silver spray will disguise it from the hens and they won't find it attractive to peck and it will heal up. Or separate him for a week if you don't need him for fatherly duties.

He Definitely could have got frost-bight, esp judging from where you are. But its possible he got into a fight too. I would just clean it the best you can. and throw some petroleum jelly on it. Thats really all you can do, combs can never grow back once they've stopped growing. Handsome fella :)

Oops!! One critical piece of data...this bird belongs to my mom and she lives in South Texas. I would think that frost bite would be only on the tips as well.

Thanks, he is a handsome fella and very good to his ladies.

It affects any part my jersey roo has what I call frost nips on his comb and wattles, they scab over and are now starting to fall off its gross looking.

Back
Top Bottom