Leveled the site.
0315001858.jpg

Started on the uprights.
0315001922.jpg

Set the perimeter of the floor frame.
0315002043.jpg

Set the floor joists, 16" on center.
0315002110.jpg

Set the floor in place and secured it with some ringshanks.
0315002135.jpg

I have some engineered trusses left over from out porch overhangs that I'm using for the roof, essentially a shed roof, and it allows for additional storage up top, or more room in the coop. Not sure which just yet. I'll add switched lights for winter heat and lighting, along with a timer, and I'm thinking of a ceramic space heater for those few days we hit the temps under 10 degrees. Got my ventilation figured out, and there will be windows and insulation.

We'll see how it goes. Any suggestions would be great.

Andy

Andy you're off to a GREAT start, a well built floor and foundation. Be sure to plan for the underside to be enclosed on three sides for your girls to hide out during the day. Mine love the security of being under the coop at times.
I look forward to your updates as you progress.
Phil

Dang that looks good so far. Dimensions? Are you planning on using that run area to the left in the pictures?

Unless your at the top of Snoqualmie or something I'd skip the insulation.

4'x8' coop with an additiona 8'x1.25' space up above. The area to the left is my 25'x35' garden. They will have the run of their 10x20 enclosure year round, and then when the garden has been pulled for the year in October or so they'll get to play in that space until April during the days. I'll need to predator proof that garden area, and the small door I install between the two areas.

Insulation is left over from our house, so rather than throw away the scraps, I'm using it up.

Getting closer.

Finished the framing tonight. The only items I had to buy were a few pieces of Simpson galvanized plate to make one complete roof truss and shore up two others left over from the house, 2 PTGT 12' 4"x4" posts, and 4 pier blocks. Everything else is leftover from the house project. What a great way to clean out the shop.

Front & side windows framed, plus chicken entry door on the lower left. There will be hardware cloth permanently attached inside, I will make all windows out of plexigass and frame them so that they open out to provide ventilation. Adding it all up, I figure I have about 12SF of vent space, of which 4SF will be open year round (the back of the trusses above the nest boxes.
0317001916.jpg

Loft window framed and the trusses squared & plumbed up. Providing additional light and ventilation.
0317002015a.jpg

Side view of the coop. I know, It is a bit funky, but I get another 8SF of floor space by putting that loft up there, AND i use up some roof trusses that were just sitting around.
0317002016.jpg

Back view shows the nest box location for the 12-16 hens we'll have in there.
0317002016a.jpg

This last shot shows the proximity to the garden. The ladies will have the run of the garden from October to March, except for where there are permanent plants like asparagus and rhubarb. Hopefully they'll do a good job of rototilling and weeding the garden, plus adding some free fertilizer along the way.
0317002026.jpg

I sheet the coop tomorrow, then electrical wiring for switched lights rigged to a timer for winter.

Very nice. Keep the photos coming!
PS - I have my heat/lights on switches too. You'll LOVE this feature! Don't forget at least one outlet for a heated water dish in winter. I purchased my ceramic heater on ebay - it was about 50% of retail. Have used it 24/7 for two long winters now. Love it.

Crushed black rock was used to level the site. Blackrock is basalt, a volcanic rock. It is '3/4" minus', meaning that it has crushed gravel and everything else down to sand sized particles, so it compacts very well. Works well for areas where you want to provide a stable base, and for driveways. The floor of the run will be this, with drain paths lined with pea gravel. On top of that will be sand. 14 tons (10 yards) was $115. Your cost would be higher if you don't have a friend with a dumptruck.

Thanks.
I will be leveling out a damp area with 6"(1 yard @ 60sqft+/-) of 3/4"-1" stone then on top of that 6"(1 yard @ 60sqft+/-) of 1" minus - same as what my driveway is made of.

Back
Top Bottom