Ranger Grow-Out Journals

TimG

Songster
11 Years
Jul 23, 2008
Maine
I have 24 Freedom Rangers from JM Hatchery. I'm going to post their average, hi and lo weights each week (just by editing a single post, not by adding another post every time). I might also include some information about how much feed I have used and maybe some other costs. Sort of a mini-grow-out journal all in one post.

I hope others will do the same and that this thread can be used for data only to keep this uncluttered. Then we'll have a thread full of mini-grow-out journals and will be able to compare feed conversion ratios, costs of meat and whatnot. I think it would be nice if analysis, questions and discussion was left for another thread, though commentary in individual data posts is welcome.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Tim

Last edited:
Number of chicks: 24
Hatch Date: 24 March 2010
Cost of chicks: $21.70

Lost chick: 01 April, found one dead.
Lost chick: 20 May, found one dead.

Bedding: Through three weeks, one bundle of shavings has been used. (Plus some newspaper.)

Feed being used: Poulin Grain Chick Starter (20% protein) -- currently $11.95 per 50# bag.
Feed consumed: After two weeks, they have eaten under 22 pounds of feed. There are now about 13 pounds worth of chicks.
Feed consumed: After three weeks, they have eaten about 44 pounds of feed. There are now 24 pounds worth of chicks.
Feed consumed: After four weeks, they have eaten about 72 pounds of feed. There are now 37 pounds worth of chicks.
Feed consumed: After five weeks, they have eaten about 117 pounds of feed. There are now 56 pounds worth of chicks.
Feed consumed: After six weeks (and one day), they have eaten about 171 pounds of feed. There are now 79 pounds worth of chicks.
Feed consumed: After seven weeks (and two days), they have eaten nearly 250 pounds of feed. There are now 98 pounds worth of chicks.
Feed consumed: After 8 weeks (+2 days), they have eaten 323 pounds of feed. There are now 116 (+6) pounds worth of chickens.
Feed consumed: After 9 weeks (+2 days), they have eaten 450 pounds of feed. There are now 130 (+6) pounds worth of chickens.

Feed conversion: overall, one pound of growth has required just a bit over 3.3 pounds of feed.

Weight on 31 March 2010 (lo/hi/ave): 2.5/3.9/3.325 ounces
Weight on 07 April 2010 (lo/hi/ave): 6.0/10.2/9.11 ounces
Weight on 14 April 2010 (lo/hi/ave): 10/18/16.74 ounces
Weight on 21 April 2010 (lo/hi/ave): 14/29/26 ounces
Weight on 28 April 2010 (lo/hi/ave): 19/45/39 ounces
Weight on 06 May 2010 (lo/hi/ave): 26/64/55 ounces
Weight on 14 May 2010 (lo/hi/ave): 60/82/70 ounces *
Weight on 21 May 2010 (lo/hi/ave): 75/104/86 ounces **
Weight on 28 May 2010 (lo/hi/ave): 82/119/98 ounces ***

Housing: The chicks were inside through about 2 1/2 weeks, then they went into the barn. In the barn, they don't have a heat source despite it dropping into the 30s or 40s at night. They do have a light source round the clock.

At six weeks, the chicks were moved outside to a run of their own. (As I write this, they are spending their first night in the run.)

* Removed the smallest from the figures.

** Runt is now 37 oz, still doing well, and still excluded from figures. Average male: 5 lb 15 oz; average female: 5 lb 1 oz.

*** Runt is now 42 oz, still doing well, and still excluded from figures. Average male: 6 lb 13 oz; average female: 5 lbs 11 oz.

I started noticing a few larger, redder combs at about 5 weeks. I haven't tried, but think I could get a pretty accurate male/female count at six weeks. Next week, I'll try to separate them before I weigh them and see what the difference is.

During their 9th week, growth seems to have slowed, more so in the females than the males. There was a hot few days during the week which may be part of the cause. They still ate! There is a pile of feed on the ground surrounding the feeder, but not big enough to account for the much worse feed conversion ratio this week.

Last edited:
Added weights from 3rd week along with note on feed consumed to date.

Bumping with this post, but will ask that it be deleted at some point.

I hope some others will be inclined to add their data.

Thanks for sharing. I'm watching this. We're getting some in mid-Summer after our Cornish X finish. This will give a good idea what to expect.

Quote:
No, the under performer seems healthy and is active, just a mini version of the others.

I should have mentioned (and will add it now), that they were inside for a little over two weeks, but have been in the barn for a few days now. They have no heat source despite it dropping into the 30s and 40s at night. I do leave a light on at night so they can see their way to the food.

I'm convinced the old rule of 95 degrees for the first week and 5 degrees cooler each week after that is a terribly over-cautious rule. These chicks haven't felt 80 degrees in a couple weeks.

I just moved mine outside yesterday. They are 3 weeks old. I had a lamp for them at night. It got down to 48 F here I will keep the light on them at night for about a week or so depending on the temperature lows. I think that 5 degree rule is mainly for standard breeds not the broiler strains.

Thanks for the information though. I unfortunatly won't have any weights to compare till I harvest the birds. I am feeding a chick starter 21% protein.

Last edited:
This is a great thread for me,as I have 30 Rangers coming two weeks from today. I'll keep an eye on this space and add any info from mine that isn't represented already. Thanks!

I added week four weights and a note that between weeks 2 and 4 one pound of growth has required just over 2 pounds of feed.

Back
Top Bottom