large worm in egg...

calamtykel

Chirping
10 Years
Jun 2, 2009
duc.gif

In the two years we' ve had chickens and all the time we've bought free range eggs, I've never seen one....until this morning. It was about 2" long and definitely not those weird strands that are inside an egg.
sickbyc.gif

Of course, it stands to reason that all chickens have parasites even once they've been wormed...since they are constantly eating off the ground.
But in this case, I think I should definitely worm them. I use a natural DE wormer, but apparently it is not working well enough.
can anyone tell me how to do this? Any specific wormer preferred by flock owners over another?

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the link! It makes things very clear! It seems nearly impossible to knock out all parasites when you have free range hens though, since they are constantly all day long eating dirt, bugs and stuff off the ground. I know parasite eggs can live for a long period of time in the soil so it seems like a futile effort somehow. But I guess the point is to reduce them as much as possible. We sell our eggs so I DEFINITELY do not want this incident repeated!
thanks again - I'm off to Agway!
smile.png

Actually, it's been proven that free range birds have fewer worm issues than penned ones. They tend to eat natural wormers while roaming, but if you are to the point that there are worms in eggs, they need a chemical wormer pronto.

It's impossible for a worm that is ingested to pass from the digestive system to the reproductive system. The worm you found entered the cloaca and passed up the oviduct to where the egg was encapsulated. Worming your hen will not affect that problem. It's pretty rare, so I doubt it will happen again but here it's described in the Merk Vetrinary Manual under reproductive problems.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/205802.htm

icky... either way. Hoping it's rare- - and Tryin' now not to think of all the hard boiled Easter eggs we had last week.
roll.png
tongue.png
wink.png

Hopefully the wormer will take care of it.
hmm.png

Last edited:
I have herd of worms in eggs before. Here are some things for thought . . .
• Do you do biosecurity?
• How old is the oldest and the youngest?
If you answered yes, and no they're all the same age. Then keep it up your doing well.
Signs
• weight and egg production decrease

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/vm015

I found this book called The Chicken Health Handbook. I'll check it out.

The booklet is interesting; thanks. However ,with free range birds, I would think it would be nearly impossible to keep them away from grasshoppers and earthworms which supposedly carry the roundworm eggs!

When worms show up in the eggs the hens have a huge worm load and the only way to treat it is with a chemical wormer. The eggs won't be edible under treatment. There are a couple wormers that say they are safe but I wouldn't eggs. If there is chemicals in the chicken there is chemicals in the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom