Can a hen crow??? Part 2 with new pics...

Oz Chook

Chirping
13 Years
Nov 11, 2007
Western Australia
the great debate continues...

Have taken some new pis, let me know what you think, boy or confused girl?

These are the neck feathers

feb005.jpg

Her wing

feb011.jpg

Her tail (what little there is of it!)

feb013.jpg

Her face

feb018.jpg

As you can see, I'm optimistically still saying her! lol

Thankyou all so much. I thought by 4-5 months I was pretty safe that Lucy was a she.

I heard the crowing myself this morning (it's only 7:30am here now), it sounded more like a duck crowing, but it was definately a crow
sad.png

Not wanting to annoy the neighbours any more than what I probably already have, I brought him (s'pose I have to call Lucy a him now, sounds so wrong!) inside until crowing hour had passsed. The cat really didn't know what to make of it and my husband is still probably laughing hysterically as he's driving to work!

Not at all sure what to do with Lucy now, can't have roosters where I live and he's too lovely to send somewhere to have 'you
know what' done.....

Chickngirl yours is a really nice one too, they do look like they fell out of the same egg!
smile.png
What is the other one in the photo, it's really pretty. Is it the boy or girl version? It's mighty unfair that the really pretty birds always seem to be boys!

That's a (very messy) golden laced polish cockerel. The pullet to match him is in the back ground of the second and third picture. Those three, the polish and the RIR, all hang together. The pullet polish can't really see for the pouf of feathers on her head so she's rather fun to mess with.
big_smile.png
With polish, the females have the pretty puff ball and the males tend to have more of a spikey, punk-rock do.

I was looking at my RIR today and noticed he's starting to fill out more and doesn't quite look so pitiful, but he still hasn't crowed and his comb and wattles are still "hen'ish". The pictures were taken last month. He had me wondering, and still kind of does but other than the wattles and comb and not crowing he really looks and walks like a male.

Back
Top Bottom