Exactly what do i need for the Water nipple system???

nuttyredhead

Songster
10 Years
May 3, 2010
Southern NH
UUUghghg...cant take the dirty water anymore.....i clean it, i fill it, its dirty within an hour.....i cant take the chicks staring at me like...why why momma cant you change our water again...... (ok so they arent thinking that but seriously ive had enough of poopy water!) Soooo that said.....

I have checked out that avain mist website, and for the diy one it seems more expensive than what you all have mentoined. So if i am planning on using them in a milk gallon jug (or similair) what do i need besides the nipple?

They are in a big ole tub right now (still only 4 weeks old) . Maybe i will buy several and put them in something smaller, like a large water botte and hang a few in the tub and then use the gallon jugs for when they go outside.

What do you think??

Thanks!!!

Beth

I want to know too...
caf.gif

I have heard of people using them on milk jugs, I think they suggest the push-in type for that. You just drill a hole the correct size and pop the grommet and then the nipple. I might used something a little heavier like a bucket, but that's just me. There are also threaded models which are meant for screwing into a PVC pipe. I've heard it suggested that you should seal those will silicone just to prevent any leakage. QC Supply seems to have the best prices, I'm thinking of ordering some as well.

Chicken Nipples

...Just b/c like to say chicken nipples.

I used an empty kitty litter bucket. One of those square ones. They have a handle and a lid that you can open half way and are of good quality.

Last edited:
Quote:
Those pails work well because they are square and when hung against the wall they will not swing. In addition to that the nipples are easier to maintain in a verticle position. These pails are a heavier than a plastic milk jug and easier to work with. The lid is an advantage drilling the holes(s) and for keeping the water clean.

i have bought the ones at farm tek and drilled a 11/32 hole in to round pvc pipe but in your case you would drill it right into the bottom of the bucket dont buy the pop in ones they are a waste of money just put a little (Teflon tape?) i think it is called) the plumbing department of your local hardware store will know around the screw in part then screw them into the holes with the tape and fill it with water
here is a link to farm tek http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplie...ultry_watering_systems;ft1_hoses_nipples.html hope that help you good luck i am glad i made the switch i love them
smile.png

We used the empty kitty litter bucket also - have had it up for about 4 weeks and it is just great. Used the nipples, drilled a small hole, and we used some rubber gaskets just because.... Entire cost was about $10.00, and the hens love it. We used a chain to hang it, and have been gradually raising it as the girls get bigger. 4 nipples for 15 hens.

46815_p4200006.jpg

46815_p4200002.jpg

Not hard at all for the hens to figure it out, I guess. I was absolutely blown away by how quickly they took to it. I made a nipple waterer out of a 3 gal. plastic bucket (2 nipples) for the run and a 1 1/2 liter water bottle (1 nipple) for the coop (but also left the old water fount in for the night). Hung both late in the day, about an hour before sundown. Figured I'd introduce the chickens to the nipples the next morning after their breakfast. At 8am I turned everyone into the run, gave them their breakfast, and returned to the house to have my morning coffee. I went back out at 9am to do the whole this-is-how-you-get-water-now lesson and found three hens already pecking at the nipples on the bucket. I watched as all six took turns at the bucket. Here I was all worried about making the transition and it ended up that I didn't have to do anything. Now I wish I'd made the switch weeks ago when they were still in the brooder. I, too, hated cleaning out the water sixteen times a day.

Back
Top Bottom