Igloo 5 gal + PVC + Nipples

Battledad

Hatching
Dec 16, 2023
Battle Ground, WA
I bought a 5 gallon Igloo insulated water unit. I want to add a valve to be able to turn the water off when needed. Thinking PVC pipe to take the water down to the coop run area and put 4 nipples (chickens). Thinking 3/4" or 1" Schedule 80 PVC pipe. Teh Igloo will sit outside the coop with the piping passing through hardware cloth under the coop.

Do I drill a hole through the bottom of the Igloo or attempt to find a way to connect a valve to the water dispenser? The flex tubing down to the PVC pipe in the coop where the nipples (which nipples?) are the drilled into the PVC.

The igloo unit will sit on a shelf outside the coop.

Appreciate any suggestions or experiences.

I thought about something similar....decided it was way too complicated(too many factors of failure)....went with a 3gal jug and horizontal nipples that can be heated in winter.
I carry out a gallon or less daily for up to 20 birds.
You have 4 chickens?
Why the need for 5 gals...and insulation?
It would be very tricky to make a leak proof connection of pipe to an insulated cooler.

Oh, and..... Welcome to BYC! @Battledad
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1702779706161.png

9 chickens (not 4). I like doing a bit of engineering (build the coop from scratch). Our temps get into the 20's in winter and 90's in summer. I'll head for the hardware store soon and do a bit of digging to see what kind of fittings, connectors, etc., might work. I expect I'll insulate the pipes as well. Love to see pics of anyone who is using a container, gravity feed, pvc or tubing for inspiration.

I like doing a bit of engineering
Same here, made a living doing it, why we tend to go complex.
20's F will not be kind to the system you are proposing.
Nipples will freeze in those temps, they need some heat, and with all those pipes it'll need a recirc loop. The horizontal nipples are best for heated waterers as the valve is inside the vessel.

Don't think you'll find anyone here who has a pipe wataerer in freezing temps.
Best of cLuck to yas!

12v heating tape? I have a large solar panel left from the last coop that's sitting. Perhaps set up a lead acid battery in an enclosure, add the solar panel to recharge the battery and find some 12 volt heating tape to either run on the outside of the pipe or run inside the pipe?

Back
Top Bottom