Self sustaining feed and water instructions.

africachicks

In the Brooder
May 26, 2023
We were headed out of town for the weekend, so my dad built a self-sustaining feed bucket and water.

Feed bucket: 10 or 5 gallon bucket with (6) 1 3/8 in holes drilled around the bottom sitting on top of a flower pot tray( 10 gal bucket holds a whole bag of feed)

Water dispenser: 5 gallon bucket with a toilet valve drilled into the bottom towards the back. Attached a hose to the valve: when the water goes below a certain level, it fills up. The bucket is hanging about 10 in off the ground (adjust height to size of chickens, ours are 4 weeks) from a chain and hook in a stud in the ceiling of the coop. On the bottom of the bucket are 4 chicken nipples drilled into the bottom front half of the bucket, opposite the valve. (3/8” holes)

Attachments

• 842BEF75-8B87-4ACE-BF03-97426C71D89C.jpeg
    842BEF75-8B87-4ACE-BF03-97426C71D89C.jpeg
    757.2 KB · Views: 546
  • 28C76910-EDC8-4C8D-AE75-A058D13D443E.jpeg
    28C76910-EDC8-4C8D-AE75-A058D13D443E.jpeg
    711 KB · Views: 52
We were headed out of town for the weekend, so my dad built a self-sustaining feed bucket and water.

Feed bucket: 10 or 5 gallon bucket with (6) 1 3/8 in holes drilled around the bottom sitting on top of a flower pot tray( 10 gal bucket holds a whole bag of feed)

Water dispenser: 5 gallon bucket with a toilet valve drilled into the bottom towards the back. Attached a hose to the valve: when the water goes below a certain level, it fills up. The bucket is hanging about 10 in off the ground (adjust height to size of chickens, ours are 4 weeks) from a chain and hook in a stud in the ceiling of the coop. On the bottom of the bucket are 4 chicken nipples drilled into the bottom front half of the bucket, opposite the valve. (3/8” holes)
I had to go out of town for couple of days a couple of weeks ago and had to make something as well. It was exactly like yours except I had a bit larger plastic saucer that bucket sat in. Did the feed come out well? Mine would get stuck a little.

I had to go out of town for couple of days a couple of weeks ago and had to make something as well. It was exactly like yours except I had a bit larger plastic saucer that bucket sat in. Did the feed come out well? Mine would get stuck a little.
Oh no, that’s a bummer! The feed comes out great on this one. Maybe the size/amount of holes we drilled were different. Here it is after the four day weekend, I just checked on it.
image.jpg

Oh no, that’s a bummer! The feed comes out great on this one. Maybe the size/amount of holes we drilled were different. Here it is after the four day weekend, I just checked on it. View attachment 3522904
That’s nice! Your size of holes actually looks about the size of mine. I’m thinking maybe adding a couple more holes. Wonder if that will make a difference.

Back
Top Bottom