Medicated vs. non-medicated?

chickenfeed

In the Brooder
12 Years
Oct 22, 2007
North Central Iowa
I'm only at day 2 of my incubation process but I'm already wondering.....once they hatch, which is better? I've seen both medicated and non-medicated starter feed. Which is best to start them on?

This is just my two cents, but I do not medicate my child nor my chickens. They need to build up a tolerance to stuff so they will be stronger. I believe too many antibiotics for humans, chickens, whatever makes you puny. I am a nurse and have never even had strep throat or the flu. We never take medication for anything but a headache, because we never need it. So, no to the medicated feed.

I am not going with medicated feed. We want to breed pure breeds on the critical list. While breeding lost of pampered chicks will get us more money. Having fewer that are stronger will be better for the breed in the long run.
(I have stayed up a few nights reading on this, but at this point it is all book knowlage. You may want to wait to hear what others have to say before you make up your mind.)
Shelly

Medicated or not depends on different situations.

If you are having your peeps vaccinated for cocci from the hatchery then you should not use medicated feed.

If you aren't having them vaccinated from the hatchery, or hatching your own, then you should feed medicated feed for a healthy flock.

I would never take the chance of having cocci develop in the flock when you can take the necessary precautions for it not to happen.

I assure you, that if it developed within your flock, you would be sorry for not taking the correct actions.

The mild medication in the feed has no concern to humans, but everything to the flock that becomes infected.....then it will be stupid is as stupid does.

If you never had chickens, and they are in a new environment, you won't have the same problems as old ground, however building resistance within the flock should also be considered.

bigzio

Quote:
Sound Advice. Vaccinate or medicate. That is unless you are a gambler and want to take a chance on losing your whole flock to a cocci or the like. All your chickens may be healthy, but your neighbors may not be. Even if you visit someone with a sick bird, you stand the chance of infecting yours.

Amprolium (brand name Corid) is really not a "medicine" it is a chemical that inhibits cocci from absorbing thiamine.

When coccidia ingest CORID instead of Vitamin B1, they starve. The cost of CORID is negligible compared with the economic damage coccidiosis can cause in terms of lost performance and loss due to death.

Wild birds can carry cocci and will spread it to your flock. I do agree with trying to raise healty animals, but to me saying, "I started out with twenty chicks, but 17 of them died of coccidiosis, but I have three strong ones that survived"....... just doesn't make sense to me.​

To some this may be considered splitting hairs, but it is the truth.

Amprollium and the other coccidiostats are PARASITICIDES not ANTIBIOTICS. Due to FDA and AAFCO regulations any feed adulterated with any medicine must be called "medicated". This includes parasitides/dewormers.

Jim

I have never used medicated feed and have never had a problem. I have a small flock though
wink.png

All rules for Organic flocks everywhere (so far as I know) permit medicated chick crumbs.

Not protecting either your kids or your chicks is a personal matter, but if more than 25% of parents decide not to protect, then epidemics happen.

Ask UK doctors what they think of the resulting measles epidemic when there was a scare about the MMR vaccine that lead to many parents not using it.

Anyone is free to neither vaccinate nor use medicated feed, but it's a "buyer beware" situation. Coccidiosis is real and can have a mortality rate of 90%

my 2c

I have read in various places that the coccidiostat used in medicated chick starter does still let the chicks develop some natural immunity to coccidia. (Because amprolium does not kill coccidia outright, just keeps them from multiplying to large enough numbers in the chicken to cause disease).

I do not know whether this commonly-said thing is true, or how true, but, there you go, food for thought or further googling
wink.png

Pat

Back
Top Bottom