Medicated vs. non-medicated?

This is one of those questions that can be answered with a "it depends." Whether you should use medicated feed is a choice to be made dependent on how your chicks are raised.

Amprolium (brand name Corid) is really not a "medicine" it is a chemical that inhibits cocci from absorbing thiamine.

This is absolutely true. It doesn't kill the cocci or make the chick's body kill the cocci. Amprolium just blocks the cocci from multiplying & gives the chick a chance to develop it own resistance. It is not a medicine! Just the same as Vitamins would not be medicines.

I do use medicated feed but I check the label to see if the medication is "amprolium" which is a cocciodisitant. A thiamine blocker that helps the chicks develop their own immunity to cocci. Just because it is medicated, it does not mean they can't get it, it just adds a bit of resistance while they are working on their own resistance. After the chicks are a week or so old, some contact with the soil outside, maybe for an hour or so, where the cocci lives, will help them build immunity as it will give them exposure to the paracite.

This true.

If you are raising your chicks in a brooder, then this is not a natural environment. It is a very sterile, artificial environment which does not permit the chick to develop the natural immunities .

If your chicks hatch outside and hit the ground with mother hen on day one then they don't need medicated feed because they will develop the natural immunities due to their start & life in a more natural environment. Those that do not use medicated feed and are raising their chicks "artificially" are playing roulette with their lives.

If your chicks are raised in the brooder box, give them medicated feed. If Mother hen hatches and raises them outside, then there is no need. They don't need it.​

You don't have to medicate them, just let them play outside for a bit or bring in some outside. Medicated feed is sold here because cocci just loves to live in year round mild wet, damp soil. Might not be as big of an issue where you are, just keep an eye on them.

It's Histoplasmosis and Toxoplasmosis that I worry the most about. Being zoonotic, they can be passed to humans. I have seen a few cases of vision loss secondary to retinitis in some patients.
Brian

If someone gets toxoplasmosis, it is most likely not going to be from chickens per se (nor from a cat litter box either). IIRC from all the reading I did in my first pregnancy, by far the commonest sources of actual infection are contaminated soil (e.g. when gardening) or less-than-well-done cooked meat.

Pat

Last edited:
Quote:
Um, I'm a "smart people" and I'm not for it. Organic farming generally produces less with the same amount of land. With so much farmland being turned into suburbs, I'm for efficiency over hype any day of the week.

I don't know how organic is "cruel" but it certainly doesn't have my vote. There are so many misconceptions about organic, it's not even funny. Many people buy organic because of what they think it means, not what it actually means.

Organic does not mean "no pesticides" or "no medications" or "no vaccines" it simply limits what can be used. That's it. Organic doesn't mean the veggies are healthier or that the animals were treated better.

It's pure hype, a "niche" market. There's nothing wrong with that, at least until consumers demand organic because of misconceptions to the point were producers can no longer meet the food demand of a growing population.

Think it doesn't concern you? It will.

Back onto the subject of the OP:

I have never feed medicated feed, and don't plan on starting. I don't take medicine myself, and I very rarely get sick. Good hygeine/sanitation is much more important than any medicine. Keep different ages seperated, keep your pens clean and dry, and cocci shouldn't be a concern for you.

Last edited:
Quote:
I have no idea why you would think this, unless you are just blatantly ignorant of the national organic program (NOP). Organic does mean no "pesticides" if you take pesticides to mean "synthetic", "man-made" or "chemical". A human being is not a pesticide if he or she hang removes slugs from his or her garden.

"Medications" are not allowed under organic rules, except naturopathic remedies like garlic, herbs, etc.

Vaccinations are specifically allowed under the NOP.

There are animal husbandry standards under the NOP. Dairy cows must be on grass 90% of the time. Piggies cannot have their tails docked at birth. Many questionable 'farming practices' are specifically prohibited.

I refer you back to

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/349263_pesticide30.html

Pesticide residues are ubiqutous in our produce. Organic food is demonstrably healthier, unless you believe someone pesticides make you healthier.

Then, let's put the nail in this coffin. As the yield from farms has increased since the 1950's, the nutritional value of farm produce has declined. This is well known, yet due to special interests, the government has never been allowed to release revised tables of nutriotinal value of farm produce (or revise our 'servings per day' reommendations).

http://www.organicauthority.com/org...e-to-high-yield-selective-seed-breeding..html

These are just the first articles I could google. If you want to get in a debate about sources, go ahead, just don't include me.

Traditional argriculture is rightfully dying a slow death by allowing their lifestyle to support our nonsense food system. I generate around 300% more revenue per lamb than my next door neighbor who sells through traditional wholesale auctions and channels. Who's going to be here 20 years from now, me or him?

Quote:
I'm also not someone who wants to pay $20 a pound for my hamburger. Doesn't make any sense to produce less at a higher cost! But that's me, not trying to say it's wrong, just not something I EVER want to see.

Your sources don't interest me. Nothing on the internet can really be trusted, everyone tries to serve their own purposes, that's human nature. The pro-organics have their arguement, and the rest of us have our own. It comes down to an individual decision on what to think.

My main beef (pardon the pun) is the insult-whether intentional or not- to everyone that doesn't hold your opinion. There can be other opinions than your own, and by saying that the "smart" people like organic, you are implying that anyone that doesn't agree is stupid. That is a complete untruth.

And yes, certain chemical pesticides are allowed. Something like petroleum based something or other. Still a pesticide, and still not "healthy".

Back
Top Bottom