What Breeds are considered for Fly Tying

muddler6

Songster
12 Years
Sep 12, 2007
Jefferson County, PA
Any Fly tyers out there? I have considered getting a couple birds for hackle feathers, but not sure what breeds fit this category. I have some friends who tie flies, and I fly fish, so I had the thought, if I raise a couple birds to give them neck and saddle hackle, they could do the work to tie those tiny little critters and share some with me. What birds are good dry fly hackle? Are there specific Breeds, or mixes that make better hackle feathers?

Quote:
Rooster97, I see you have some of these, do you tie with them?

oh yes!!! i use his saddles/hackles and sometimes the females

What other chicken breeds are good for fly tiers? I was looking at Dorkings the other day and thinking they look like they would have good hackle, but never seeing on "in person" I can't tell if they would have the right hackle for dry flies or not.

Depends on what type/kind of flies you want to tie. Wets, dries, salmon/steelhead, bass, salt water. You can use any feather but what you should get depends on what you are tying.

wink.png

Mostly various size dry flies, but of course a good neck and saddle could supply hackle for wet flies. But give me a list of what birds could go for what flies. If I can raise a few for myself and my fly tying friends I can preserve them for future use.

Back
Top Bottom