Chicken crowing... at night? Help! I think my chicken might be ill.

Neilette

Songster
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
Seattle, WA
I posted recently about a crowing pullet in the Behaviors forum. Well, I'm hearing her crowing outside now, and it's almost midnight! I thought she just was hormonal pullet, top of the pecking order, no roosters around, crowing. But at night? When she "crows", she looks uncomfortable and she's been getting progressively more lethargic. That's how I would feel if I were hormonal -- however... Now I'm imagining air sac diseases, or tumors, or... I don't know what to be afraid of! Please help me understand what could be causing this. I won't sleep well until I do.

Thank you for any advice you can spare.

I have a hen that crows all the time. We had a roo, then we didn't have a roo, and I think she took over that dominate position. There is a bright moon out tonight. Could there be light getting into the coop and she think it's day? Mine will sometimes crow on nights when the moon is very bright

Many roosters will crow when they just see a light on in the house during the night. They make a public announcement of all your restroom visits
roll.png

Thanks for the late-night answers. It is beyond reassuring to hear these sane possible causes, rather than what my wild imagination was cooking up. She hasn't laid yet, she's a Barred Rock at 16 weeks old and I will check her for an egg now. And yes, the roof of the coop is semi-transparent and the street is lit so it could the culprit could be light!

Last edited:
My rooster crows when it hears the back door close. It's been so warm lately I have kept it open most of the night(s). It sorta sticks, so I have to nearly slam it. So the rooster crows from inside the coop.

He also crows around 4 AM some mornings. I have NO clue what that's about....

I looked around the vent without going inside, and I didn't see or feel any egg-shaped or bulbous anything. If anything, she's a little too thin. Is that enough? Would it be fairly obvious if there was a stuck egg? I don't think her pelvic bone passes the "three fingers wide test" either.
hmm.png
I can sleep now, at least.

Seems like 16 weeks is a little early for laying although I know they can lay that early. I think it is more likely the dominant Hen taking on the roll of protector. Roosters will crow at anything. Headlights from the car, street lights, bathroom lights, threats, visitors. I think your sweet little girl is doing that job for her flock.

I think 16 weeks is a little early for a barred rock. Only my red sexlinks ever laid that early and they were little bitty eggs.

Kenny my roo was going to town last night as the moon was a bright orange in the sky clear of clouds.

Back
Top Bottom