Anyone setup something like this..........

DENALI

Songster
11 Years
Feb 27, 2008
Interesting article since we are also planning to break new ground for a garden here inthe next week or so as well as get started on a chicken coop.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/silveira44a.html

silveira44a.gif

Last edited:
Anyone have an estimation of how big an area that diagram covers?

Anyone else have any comments on something like this? Thanks

I don't see a problem with this at all. If you alternate each year you would have good soil that is almost pest free. It would also eliminate the need to rotate your crops each year. The only issue I see is that the compost pile may smell too much. Sometimes the earthy smell is too much for my stomache. I showed it to my DH last night and he thought it was a great idea. The only problem is that we would have to clear more trees. I guess its a good thing we still have 4 feet of snow and haven't started building the new coop yet.

Denali, what are your thoughts on doing this?

The only disadvantage I can see is that you either have to accept losses to hawks and perhaps fence-climbing predators, or roof *two* rather than just one sufficient-sized runs, or have a netting top that can somehow be moved from one run to the other each year. (Since you would be rotating the chickens from one run to the next on a yearly basis). Well, and it requires you to construct and predator-proof TWO rather than just one sufficient-sized runs.

Pat

Looks great. My area is so very rocky I'm thinking my garden is going to have to be in raised beds though.

I'm doubtful I'll even be able to dig the 1' to put the run fence underground. I've been reading about laying the fencing on the ground out a food and covering it with dirt. Has anyone tried this and is it successful?

Back
Top Bottom