All of my chickens are dying Gurgling, gasping Its ILT~UPDATE

Chickiebaby8

Songster
9 Years
Apr 19, 2010
Kentucky
I need to find the vaccine ASAP. I don't know if I can buy it anywhere other than ordering it online?

I have no idea what to do. I have isolated the sick ones and every time I do they die. Two coughed up blood. I have tried everything.
My husband and I just tore apart the coop (again) and bleached everything and we are letting it dry.

That chicken doctor guy costs too much to talk to and there are no avian vets near me for a necropsy. I am weak from sobbing. They seem fine one day and then they get sick and die. They mouth breathe and stop eating then they suffer so much we cull them.
hit.gif

I will NEVER buy or accept a chicken from anyone but a reputable hatchery EVER AGAIN. My husband did that, not me. I wanted to hatch my own. He is sorely regretting his decision to get some from a friend (although theirs seem okay) or an auction.

The stools are fine, btw. Just a little eye goop, a gurgle, a honk, then dead.
hit.gif

Eating and playing fine until 24 hours before.

I never knew this could happen and I am heart sick.
hit.gif

If anyone can help, or offer advice, that would be appreciated. I love my birds.
sad.png

Last edited:
I thought the chicken doctor cost only $25 to talk to - huge bargain compared to your average vet. And he is a wealth of info, if you are talking about Peter Brown at First State Vet Supply. I wouldn't wait another minute.

JJ (also jjthink but at my other location that log in doesn't work)

My friend who knows him is calling him for me since she gave me the chickens in the first place. I am so sad and defeated. I have never gone through anything like this and don't know if I can do it.

Enormously distressing, for sure. I too would be heartbroken for what they are having to endure. Heck, I am heartbroken just reading about it. But they need you to look this thing square in the eye and fight for them. Despite our best efforts it doesn't always work out, but hopefully if you and your friend pull out all the stops to figure this out, maybe not another one will have to die.

When did the problem begin and how long have you had the birds? How many are left?

I am terribly sorry for this awful situation.
sad.png

JJ

You are in Kentucky? Call your state veterinarian's office- poultry extension via your state ag school. They would likely be interested in acute deaths in poultry, especially if the disease sounds respiratory. Part of the reason they are there, is to do survey for infectious diseases. Put at least one of the deceased bagged in a refrigerator, in case they need samples. If they can help you, this will likely be the fastest and probably cheapest way to get an answer. Many states, the service is free.

http://www.ca.uky.edu/smallflocks/links.html

Thank you so much for the link. I will do just that. Or my husband will because I don' t know if I can do it. But if it is free and will help us to never have this happen again, I will do it.

Another one just up and died. I have preserved her and am putting her in a cooler, and I am calling the AG place tomorrow. Thank you all so much.

Be sure not to have ANY personal contact with anyone with birds and take EXTREME bio-security precautions. Nobody in or out except you or the state vet. Change and wash clothes after being in the coop and take a long hot shower. Wear rubber boots and disinfect them before coming to the house.

Back
Top Bottom