All of my chickens are dying Gurgling, gasping Its ILT~UPDATE

If your chicks are super young are you using cedar shavings???? If so that is toxic and poisonous to peeps and will kill them.........take them out of the brooder with the cedar, remove the cedar and clean it. Then put in pine shavings........peeps are best either on paper towels or pine shavings......

Quote:
No, they are older chickens. Some (three barred rocks and several golden comets) were rescued from a laying house and sold at an auction. The sick ones are all from there. The other ones, whom I have also treated for a respiratory infection and possible worms, aren't showing any symptoms.

I need to take the latest bird for a necropsy tomorrow. I am desperate to find out what it is.
hit.gif

Here is a link to the USDA site with downloads that explain biosecurity practices.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/birdbiosecurity/about/downloads.htm

Here is a paragraph from one of the pages there with a toll free number that is staffed by vets. and they can get you in touch with the services in your state.

Don’t wait. If your birds are sick or
dying, call your local cooperative extension
office, local veterinarian, the State
Veterinarian, or U.S. Department of
Agriculture (USDA) Veterinary Services
office to find out why. USDA operates a
toll-free hotline (1–866–536–7593) with
veterinarians to help you. There is no
charge for this service

Quote:
I went this morning and brought two birds, one live and one dead. Both had ILT. That is the prelim diagnosis. Where do I get the vaccine?? Does anyone know? I don't know what to do? If they are cured, can we eat the eggs? I know they will be carriers but what does that mean? Will the vaccine help my other chickens? I am desperate!

Quote:
I went this morning and brought two birds, one live and one dead. Both had ILT. That is the prelim diagnosis. Where do I get the vaccine?? Does anyone know? I don't know what to do? If they are cured, can we eat the eggs? I know they will be carriers but what does that mean? Will the vaccine help my other chickens? I am desperate!

THANK YOU for your information. I talked to the Dr. who did the necropsy and she was very helpful. Thank you so much.

JMO if it is a disease that they will be a carrier of, I would cull the entire flock and start over. Any newcomers would be subjected to the disease. I'm a little paranoid of what I eat and don't eat. So, if any of mine were to get sick, I personally wouldn't be able to eat the eggs or them. But, that's just me. I'm sure there are several different things that they can get and you can still eat them and their eggs.

So sorry your going through this.

I was thinking the same thing. I am so sad.

I will wait for the necropsy results to come back and then try to figure out how to dispose of our birds. How does one do that?
sad.png
I mean, we will have a lot of dead birds.
sad.png

If you must cull your entire flock ...I suggest that you get a burn barrel and dispatch of them with a sharp axe and then burn the bodies to get rid of them. I would also make sure to completely clean your coop with bleach and after it dries do it again!

Did I understand that you had some chickens and then got some more and added them to your flock? If so, did you keep them seperated for 30 days before putting them in with your birds?

Back
Top Bottom