Swollen Head Syndrome

epitidios

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 30, 2010
One of my turkeys has Swollen Head Syndrome. I have her isolated and she is into antibiotics. I also give the same antibiotic to the rest in the coop. This is a viral disease, so antibiotics are not curing against the virus but against possible bacterial infections. So does my bird have a chance of survival? What makes things more difficult is that she lost her appetite and she doesn't drink a lot of water. So instead of giving the medication with the water, i mix it with the barn i feed her. My vet told me to give the medicine for 5 days. I hope that it will work.

Any suggestions? My vet told me to kill the ill turkey, but i don't want to do this without trying saving her.

Is that what it really is or is it mycoplasma gallisepticum? The reason I ask is because I think that is what my turkeys have and was just going to ask about it on here. Do yours have swollen places between their eyes and corners of their mouths? I have injected mine with Tylan IM and subQ but they are alsoin with a lot of my other newer birds! Terri O

Quote:
Well the vet told me that she has it. Then on a web page that says about poultry related diseases, the symptoms that my turkey has, are similar with those of the swollen head syndrome. The antibiotics seem to work so far. The area around her eyes is not swollen that much. Also i don't see other birds with similar symptoms which is good. Tomorrow i will visit the vet to take some stuff for him. I will ask for more info about her case.

PS My other chick is fully recovering. Soon she will return with the rest.
wee.gif

Terri O here is the link that says about poultry diseases. Mycoplasma gallisepticum also fits to what my turkey has.

http://www.thecrazychickenlady.com/crazy_033.htm

I hope that it helps.

Judging that my turkey also sneezes, i guess this disease, fits perfect to her. I hope she will make it, and return with to other turkey in the flock, who is more than lonely at the moment.

Last edited:
plz can u tell me the names or actually formulas of antibiotics which you are giving to ur turkey. are those broad spectrum antibiotics or third generatiion qunalones? like cepro levo or nor floxacine , i know that they cant kill virus but if we controll secondary bacterial infection treatment may become easier.thanks .

Welcome to BYC Chick! This is a really old post that you have commented on. If you are having trouble with one of your birds you might post it in the emergencies section under a new topic. When my turkey was sick I used Tylan 50 in his water I think. He idid make a full recovery and is still here on the farm now! Terri O

Back
Top Bottom