guinia chick can't walk

artsyrobin

Artful Wings
15 Years
Mar 1, 2009
Muskogee OK
Just got back from the feedstore- they have had guineas in for a few weeks- well, as usual i had to look- so i came home with 2 guineas- one can't walk- here is his pic- i need ideas on how to care for him- if it is splay leg or something else?

24037_100_1601.jpg

24037_100_1602.jpg

Looks like splayed legs. But a bandaid on them. Cut a bandaid in half lengthwise and use the pad as the width determination. You may need a little larger than the pad since it looks like he is a little older. Definately isn't day old for sure. You may need to have it for a week because he is older and his muscles are now developing to being splayed and not straight.

ok, i found a pic online- the leg is stiff, i almost get the feeling he may have been stepped on or got his foot caught in the wire of the cage- here is another pic- the leg is stiff, at the hip joint, but the knee is movable. The other leg functions normal

24037_100_1604.jpg

I don't think this is a problem that can be fixed without a vet's intervention. I don't think its spraddle leg since only one leg is involved.

The weakest part of a Guinea is its legs and can easily be injured. Slipped tendon is one of the biggest problems in new keets. Chances are very high that you will have to put the keet down. As adults, since their legs are not strong enough, they can not maneuver easily. As they continue to grow and put on weight the leg that is unaffected becomes weakened trying to support the weight that two legs would normally carry.

here are a few pics of one of my guinea keets from last here with bandaided legs.

40051_012.jpg

40051_016.jpg

He was only a day or two old. Yours looks almost 2 weeks? It might be to late to fix him.

Last edited:
Is it possible that gently exercising that leg to loosen it up might help? he is eating and drinking, i tried putting the bandaid on, it is pliable enough to realign them, but he freaks out when he can't stand- here is a closeup of his elbow

24037_100_1606.jpg

Last edited:
Robin, I've had a number of successes with both splay legs and slipped Achilles tendons. However, this doesn't look like either. It looks to me like a rotated femur, for which there is no cure other than surgery. While it could be from an injury, it is probably a genetic condition, and because it cannot use it properly, the "elbow" or "knee" has been further damaged. This keet probably should be put down, as it will have a harder and harder time getting around as it gains size and weight. Withut drastic intervention, it won't be able to compete with the others for food, nor will it be able to keep up, and it will eventually die.

This coming from someone who goes to extraordinary measures to help/save her birds.

I'm so glad you asked. I hatched one yesterday with the same problem and was putting the band-aid above the knee too. Will try it below. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom