Wormer for Peafowl

Feathered Wings

Songster
11 Years
Oct 9, 2008
Georgia
I have a male peacock he is about year and a half old, I noticed he is a little inactive and kind of droopy. Just walking around slowly not looking like he feels well.
No nasal discharge,sneezing, coughing, discolored droppings an he has been eating everyday.
I suspect worms as he and his hen have never been in contact with and type of other fowl so any disease is out of the question.
Been reading on several sites about Ivermectin being the best wormer for peafowl. They have never been handled so catching them to put medicine in their mouth isn't happening.
Is there Ivermectin that you can add to water? Whats the rate to put in a Gallon waterer? Is there any other wormer that would do better?

We catch all our Peafowl to give them shots 1cc Ivomec Plus and 1 month later Safe Guard for goats in there water 3cc to 1 gallon this is done twice a year. Before breeding season and after. Now some people may have to worm more then twice a year but two times works for us.

If you don't want to catch them just use the Safe Guard.

If you don't have a lot of birds, I think you can also put the Ivomec on a piece of bread or something and toss it for them to eat. If they aren't used to you tossing food at them, I would do it for a few days first to get them used to it and see if you can have any control over who eats what.

Thanks so much for all the reply's, I got the safeguard goat wormer 10% suspension. I will be doing the 3 cc to a gallon waterer since it's just a pair of peafowl.
Thanks again
thumbsup.gif

Oh you should use both wormers, not at the same time. They kill different worms, plus ivomec will also kill lices and mites.

I treat mine with the ivomec on the back 1 cc. You could inject it into a grape, if you can get them eating them. Bread and other food even a pellet of dry dog food.

I treat 3 times a year, just make sure not to use ivomec during egg laying season. At least 30 days before.

Your peafowl still can pick up diseases ,with out them being around birds. Earthworms , and other insects can be host to them, like blackhead. Other can be in the ground from wildbirds. Most areas will have cocci in the ground.

Quote:
My peafowl are very picky, I try to give them things but they just look at it and walk away. Can I put a small amount of the paste kind in the grape? I will have to get them to eating grapes they are just so picky they won't even eat scratch grains. I have given them cantaloupe they seemed to like that and love sunflower seeds they would eat a 50lb bag of those.
They are very quiet too I thought peafowl were very loud mine never make a peep except to honk at the neighbors cat
gig.gif

I think I have heard of folks using the paste kind, but I would be hesitant... I have heard that some of the other ingredients can be harmful to other critters.

What good ideas you all have! Thanks! I have been really wondering about the best way to worm my birds, and I just don't think I could give a bird a shot.

Ivermec and Safe Guard do not treat the same group of worms. If you are alternating these wormers you are treating some worms while allowing others to run out of control.

Back
Top Bottom